Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 AM
TE Newbie

Default Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Hello all,

I currently have a Fujifilm S3 Pro and I am in the market for a wide angle lens. I have researched several lenses and I am leaning towards the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM. Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I can purchase this lens for about $450.00 US dollars.

Thanks in advance,
David...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Look here, a lot of good advice about this lens and other similar products.
I have the Sigma and it's a great lens if you can live with the distortion. Probably better for landscapes than cityscapes or shots where straight line rendition is important, but it's very sharp, nice and contrasty and produces great colours. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for your advice Ben along with the link. This will help me decide.

Regards, David...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:17 PM
TE Junior Member

David,

The Sigma is a great lens but, just by way of an alternative, have a look at the Tamron 11-18mm lens.

I've been really pleased with mine but, similar to the Sigma, distortion is something you'll struggle to get away from.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:16 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the info Paul. I am still undecided, but I am leaning towards the Sigma. I think I will order the lens over the weekend.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi David,

I also have the Sigma 10-20, without HSM though (isn't featured, yet, for Pentax mount). It's a great lens, as said, very sharp, contrasty, produces great colours. I consider the build quality to be very good, better than my other Sigma lenses (which are non-EX).
Indeed one of the con's is the distortion, (especially on 10mm) something you can hardly avoid with such wide angles. Zoom and focusring feel very good, well damped zoomring, as you only zoom in 2 times, you don't want it to zoom to easy. Anyhow, I like that aspect.

<a href=http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2258/lens-test-sigma-10-20mm-f4-56-ex-dc-hsm-af.html>test on popphoto ;) </a>
Old 05-05-2007, 10:42 AM
TE Newbie

David, Sigma have some fine designs (I have the 24-70 EX in KM) but their quality control leaves a little bit to be desired. Buy a good one and it will wipe the floor with most things; but there are bad ones too. I saw a magazine review recently where the 10-20 beat Tokina, Tamron, Canon, Nikon. . . But another where it was close to last. At the price, it's worth the risk I think. Best wishes Stephen
Old 05-05-2007, 11:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Worth the risk ? If you have a bad sample/piece of lens, then return it and mention it has front or back focus. You should just get a proper one in return. You've payed a large amount, you don't have to take a brake lens :)

So there doesn't have to be a risk..
well only risk is that you'll be wasting lot's of time if you have a bad one that must be traded..

Gr.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:17 PM
TE Newbie

Emiel,

But I'm not sure you can return a lens on the grounds that it is not quite as sharp or as well-corrected as the one made before it or after it on the production line.

It was this inconsistency I was referring to, not clear failures in production such the introduction of front or back focus (which some examples Sigmas lenses do seem to suffer from).

I don't know whether it's still true with their EF range, but it used to be said in the days of Canon FD lenses that you could take the MTF charts of 100 lenses from the production line, lie them on top of one another and it would look like the curve of a single lens. So you could be confident when buying a 24/2.8 from the local camera shop that it would be just as good (or bad) as the one you had seen reviewed in a magazine.

It seems this assurance does not exist when buying Sigma - you can buy one that is very good; you can buy one that is not quite so good. The point I was trying to make is that this lack of consistency is worth the risk when one considers the price of the lens. Compared with the price of the equivalent Canon or Nikon, it is a bargain.

Best wishes

Stephen
Old 05-07-2007, 01:59 AM
TE Senior Member

Ah okay, I get what you mean. Thanks for explaining. I guess I'm lucky with mines, it performs well in my opinion.
If it's clearly not sharp..giving really bad result, you should get it returned...a fair photo shop will do their best for you, that is what I hope.

But I can understand your point, it can be hard or impossible to return maybe..and then it's indeed a pity. A Canon/Nikon MIGHT be a better choice then. But some Sigma's do perform very well!