Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-02-2007, 06:42 AM
TE Expert

Default Congratulations Adam!

I joked with you on a couple of occasions about the likelihood of this happening... if you were lucky! It seems your hard work has paid dividends for you and I'm pleased.

To the new owners I would echo the sentiments of a number of members who are encouraging a bit more open attitude toward those who occasionally express a contrary point of view. Not only have a number of members whose work is exemplary been made unwelcome but objections raised by other members to their banishment have been censored. I was quite surprised when my innocent inquiry about the apparent disappearance of one such member, Claude Renault, resulted in warnings from some members that I risked being banished for even raising the subject. Then my inquiry and subsequent responses from a number of members suddenly disappeared from the board. I appreciate that this is a board designed for sharing photos and that contentious exchanges have the potential for disturbing the calm of the place, but there is something unhealthy, in my opinion, of sweeping what is difficult under the rug. My hope is that the new owners will have a bit more tolerance for the difficulties that occasionally arise when people who feel passion come together to share their understanding of the world.

Fortunately, Claude Renault's exquisite work is readily available elsewhere on the web for anyone who searches for it. It is sad, however, that Trekearth lost both his work and his engaging presence. If anyone represents the spirit of ""learning about the world through photography" it is Claude. His love affair with India is a joy to behold. And as those of us who met him on TE know, his love inspired countless other photographers to pursue their passion.

Blessings to everyone here!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: TrekEarth has a New Owner

Wikitravel.org is running Wikimedia software - but so can you, if you have your own web site! Merely running the software doesn't make a site a Wikimedia project.

The site you link to does show related projects, but there are countless other wiki sites using the Wikimedia software, and even more other wiki sites using other wiki platforms - Wikimedia is just one of many wiki software packages (and not always the best choice, depending on requirements).
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
TE Expert

Default TOS

There are terms of service that are equal to everyone, indeed everyone, no matter what someone represents on TE . If someone don't agree to this TOS, even the ones who are on top of the site or the ones who created a certain aura, they can't claim the right to put themselves above this TOS as it is equal to everyone. Adam notifies always in a gallant way to rectify a behavior, so if someone can't agree to TOS, he is free to leave, very very seldom someone is banned except for obvious reasons like copyright violations f.i.
I do appreciate that John respect the history in these matters, a sign and reassurance that TE will grow on his proven system equal to all to enjoy the community fully on a free site.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM
TE Expert

Default PS

PS
What worries me more is the growing gap of the rating system where new members will be looking at a difference of 100.000 within 4 years when they start on TE not knowing that in the main it indicates the activity of a member during years. Adjusting definitions could avoid this feel of inequality to make TE more open for new members as a new home for them too, letting the site growing even faster.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Congratulations Adam!

I am of Curtis' opinion: he is quite right in remembering Claude's great work! And in disapproving the way he was put out of TE
We would need lots of people like Claude Renault!!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: TOS

Clearly you have strong feelings about this Henk. I haven't been active on TE for well over a year so I wasn't present when whatever led to the departure of a number of members, including Claude, occurred. That was one reason why I initiated a discussion on the board to inquire about what led to those events. It was then I learned that one doesn't speak about such things. I thought that was an over reaction until I discovered my thread had disappeared as well. That led me to a brief conversation with Adam via email in which I learned his side of what transpired. It didn't seem so much a matter of violating terms of service as something else I don't feel at liberty to discuss in this forum. I haven't heard from Claude his version of events, though he responded to my email asking for that. Both of our lives got busy and the matter was simply dropped.

I am aware, however, that Simon first departed TE over the suggestion he had posted an inappropriate photo that violated the terms of service. I thought the criticism was unwarranted, but Simon was so offended by the accusation that he simply pulled his photos. He subsequently returned but apparently has left again, for reasons I don't know. I recall discussions about how best to accommodate more personal photos, as when Cesar posted a remarkable photo of his newborn child, thereby addressing terms of service concerns. I even made a suggestion about how such photos might be incorporated in our personal pages, though nothing came of that.

I agree that out of respect for one another we would wish to abide by rules, but I've encountered too many situations in life where rule bound behavior has been unnecessarily cruel and stupid. That is the reason I see benefit in talking about what is difficult to see if we can find a solution that honors members rather than offending them or driving them away. Of course, I made a choice long ago NOT to be a lawyer. Rather, I decided to become a marriage and family counselor where the goal is conflict resolution, not confrontation...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 AM
TE Newbie

bazal, I can assure you that we will not be making a commercial image database out of TE. We will continue to derive advertising revenue as Adam has, but not by selling images.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for this clarification, John!
I was just hoping TE won't change to much its general philosophy...

Good luck for the future!

Kind regards.

LB.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM
TE Expert

Hi to the new team
Just one more question.
It will possible in a recent future to post more Large Posts ?
We are allowed until now to use 5 MO total files.
Thank's for your answer.
Cheers.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
TE Senior Member

"Changement de Propriétaire". La nouvelle est d'importance même si nous sommes bien conscients de n'avoir pas voix au châpitre, tout au plus un petit mot à dire pour alimenter un forum défouloir et prendre le risque de s'y faire repérer!
La formule sur un bandeau barre encore parfois la façade de certains établissements commerciaux au fil de nos rues.
Outre qu'il s'agit d'une information portée à la connaissance du chaland, cette formule engendre chez ceux qui la voient et qui connaissaient l'ancien proprio des sentiments qui peuvent etre contradictoires. Certains se rejouissent et espèrent que ce changement sera bénéfique, d'autres plus sages, plus "expérimentés souvent" moins "positifs" dit-on aujourd'hui, sont dubitatifs, une moue à l'appui. Les phrases toutes faites du genre "on sait ce qu'on avait on sait pas ce qu'on va avoir ou à quelle sauce on va être mangés" fusent avant de tourner court sur un laconique " de toutes façons " on peut pas y faire grand chose" "et puis on verra bien".
Alors bon d'accord pour le "wait and see". Mais l'information est d'importance à mon sens et dans cette periode de vacances et de moindre vigilance voire de ramolissement il serait dommage qu'elle échappe à un trop grand nombre ne serait-ce que parce qu'elle n'a été formulée qu'en anglais.
Moi ce que je vous en dis...