Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 08:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Fuijifilm Finepix S5 Pro or Nikon D200? Help!

I've been saving up my pennies for many months, and I think it's time to upgrade from my D70s, which is in the process of dying a slow death anyway.
As a long time Nikon user with quite a few Nikon lenses, there are only really two realistic options open to me - the D200 or the S5 Pro (the D2x is way out of my price range and the D80 is more of a downgrade than an upgrade from the D70s).
I've done extensive research and know about the various advantages and disadvantages of each camera (speed of the D200, superior dynamic range of the S5 Pro etc), so what I'm really looking for is some advice from people with experience with either, or ideally both, cameras.
The D200 is looking especially attractive with the free Capture NX deals available at the moment. Then again, my biggest gripe with digital has always been the restricted dynamic range in comparison to film, so the S5 Pro could be the answer to my prayers!
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Fuijifilm Finepix S5 Pro or Nikon D200? Help!

Hi Ben,

I've got a D200 and a Fuji S3 Pro and I must admit that my next upgrade (when it happens) will either be a trade of the S3 Pro for the S5 Pro or for a D2XS when the D3X comes out and the D2XS price drops. I don't envisage trading the D200 for anything right now.

I suspect that there must be a move to get a D300 (or something like that) out as the D200 is astonishingly cheap at £800 - including Capture NX. They make a superb combination.

The press seem quite smitten with both the D200 and the S5 Pro. The suggestion is that the D200 has the edge - just - from an operational point of view. The S5 Pro is a 6.1 MP camera that becomes equivalent to about a 10MP camera when you use the "fine" mode. The sensor is supposedly better for portraits and landscapes - but HOW much better if you use RAW is debatable.

If you're likely to trade, it might be worth going for the Nikon as there's always a ready market for Nikon badged gear. Then again, there's always a steady supply.

A nice dilemma to have but, on balance, I would have to go for the D200 as I have one, I know it and it has been the best digital camera I've ever owned.

Without wishing to plug my photos, have a look and see which you prefer. Most of both were processed with Capture NX (once I'd converted the Fuji RAW to TIFF) as it won't do any other formats than NEF.

Best wishes, Paul.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:26 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for the advice Paul, maybe I'll wait a while until the price of the S5 Pro comes down, and see what else Nikon bring out in the meantime.
Talking of the D3X, I'd expect to see it before the end of the year. It's bound to be quite a camera, and full frame too if they really want to compete seriously with Canon at the top end of the market.

Thanks once again.
Cheers,
Ben
Old 06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Ben. I was over in Amsterdam the other weekend and got chatting with a guy in a camera shop who had, apparently, been in contact with one of the Nikon team. Apparently, so the story goes, Nikon were trying to get their hands on the sensor system used in the Mamiya ZD to use in the D3X. Still not full frame but a hell of a sensor! We'll see.

Personally, I'm not the remotest bit bothered about getting a full frame camera and I'd be a bit surprised if Nikon went the "whole hog" and do so.

Firstly, many of the DX lenses would probably be rendered obsolete. To-date, Nikon haven't ever done that to any of their customers. Virtually all Nikon lenses will fit even the newest digital cameras - albeit that they won't have the same focal length, autofocus or, in some cases, register with the light meter. But they will still work.

Secondly, the cropped sensor only picks up the sharpest part of the lens - the centre. According to most reviews, Nikon lens edge sharpness is as good as anyones pond for pound. I've also seen a couple of comments on other forums that the full-frame digitals from Canon suffer a bit from lack of edge sharpness unless you go for the very top-of-the-range lenses.

I dunno. I doubt that I'll lust after a D3X - though I will get a D2XS when I can afford one. I know that good lenses make more of a difference but, if I ever want to go pro or semi-pro at any stage, I'll need something more versatile than my beloved D200.

For now, though, I wouldn't swap my D200 for any Canon or any Fuji. It's not "perfect" but it's as perfect for me as it needs be.

All the best,

Paul
Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
TE Senior Member

Paul, I don't think that the DX lenses will be rendered obsolete by the release of a FF camera. Rather, there will be two distinct lines in the Nikon range - the D40/D80 and their successors will continue to be in the DX format while the D3 and hopefully the D300 will have a larger sensor.
Of course, this is pure speculation - time will tell...

I've bought myself a dinky little D40 to tide me over in the meantime (my D70 died so I had to get a replacement). It's a great little camera, works perfectly with my AFS and HSM zooms, and with the primes, well I'll have to get used to manual focus again!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Ben.

I hope you're right - like you say, it's easy to guess but, whatever they do, I hope Nikon stay loyal to their customer base. The D3 / D300 (if and when they do emerge) are, I would imagine, likely to be a bit of a departure from the norm.

All the best.

Paul.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Ben,
I was checking here the threads and I saw you were hesitating between the S5PRO and the D200, well I saw an article (maybe you already seen it too) comparing precisely these two cameras, it was on 'Digital Photo' June issue.
It's quite an extensive article and both of the cameras are really good, just the fact that the S5PRO is new and the other one has more tha none year on the market but still sells well and for one of many reasons, it's a really good camera, they say and I think so too.
Here is a transcription of the overall verdict they have done:' Though at first glance these two cameras may lookthe same there some marked differences between them, the S5PRO faced a tough challenge in bettering a camera that had no major complaints set against it, especially for the price. The S5PRO should be commended for takingon the task, but it just falls short. The super CCD sensor shows clever thinking, but for the increased dynamic range, speed is sacrificed: it's slow to say the least and if you wish to increase performance, you are reduced to a 6.17 Mp resolution - 40% less than the D200. That's not to say that the S5PRO is a bad camera - the build and handling are excellent and it will appeal to some niche areas - but it can't quite match the D200 for overall performance. They may look identical, but the D200 does things better and faster than the S5PRO -and at a lower price' - end of quotation.
I can also tell you that at image details they are quite the same, at noise levels at ISO100 good results for bot but when you go above ISO400 the S5PRO starts struggling with the overall sharpness suffering too. Also writing on the cards the D200 is much faster as follows:
Standard 100% setting the S5PRO took 2.5 sec to write JPEG and 3 sec to write a RAW and if you increase the D-Range then it slows for 3 sec to JPEG and 4.5 secs to write RAW files. On the other hand the D200 takes 1.5 sec for JPEG and 2.5 for RAW files.
This is only some of what is written on the complete review Ben and I know it lacks for some more details, but by what I've seen here I would go for the D200 even if the S5PRO looks very good too.
I hope this wil help you in some way.
Cheers.
Paulo
Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks Paolo, that's very interesting. I'd heard that the S5 was much better than the Nikon at higher ISO settings, but maybe that's not the case.
Anyway, I'm going to wait for a while - I have a feeling that there could be some new product launches from Nikon in the near future!

Cheers,
Ben
Old 07-02-2007, 11:55 PM
TE Newbie

Wise decision, Ben. From what I've researched, the S5 has the best dynamic range of all dSLRs but still falls short of film. In all other respects, the D200 beats it.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Oh I do love rumours.......

I had a look on Google for "Nikon D3" and there's loads of references which are variations on the same theme........a "modular" 19MP full-frame sensor that will allow use of DX lenses in some sort of cropped mode.

There's even some artists impressions of what it's likely to look like (some are more fanciful than others) - but no mention of price, though I expet it will need to compete with the 1Ds Mk2 and 1D Mk3

Exciting (and potentially expensive) times ahead!!

Paul.