Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Default NEF images

Hi,
I want to know if there's a software, (other than the usual one that came with my camera) that I can use in my Nikon D40 to treat images in RAW mode, cause the program that is in the kit, just runs out in a month...
or I'll have to spend some (US$ 140) money to get the no restriction soft from Nikon?!

Taba
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: NEF images

Hi Taba,

Not sure which software came with your D40 but you're certainly not limited to Nikon software. Nikon Capture NX produces excellent results but is VERY slow to run unless you have the very latest PC kit and it is not so user-friendly. There are others like Bibble, Capture One and DxO (which is much more than just a RAW converter).

Personally, I'd go for Photoshop Elements 5 which bundles the more than adequate Adobe Camera Raw with the most useful bits of Photoshop CS2/CS3. So not only do you buy a RAW converter, you buy the most useful CS2/CS3 functionalities that should prove enough for 99% of digital camera users in their post-processing. It costs 99.99 USD and there's a free 30 day trial also downloadable from www.adobe.com.

Best wishes

Stephen
Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Banned

good advise, photoshop elements comes with newly upgraded camera RAW 4 that is a very powerful tool, if you get the software be sure you upgrade camera RAW to version 4.1 on the adobe site as this newer development features several essential enhancements.
Regards, JY
Old 07-07-2007, 03:16 AM
TE Senior Member

thanks a lot for you for the advise...I have the adobe version 7 in one old PC and one CS2 version in other, the soft that came with the D40 is the Nikon Capture NX, but it's a trial version.. I do not even upload it yet because of the restriction...
This is my first experience in RAW capture and I'm a really dummy on it!
the only thing that I heard is that there is a plug in for the adobe but it can work just with 8 bits, while the Capture NX works with 16 bits...
for you resste and PixelTerror I wanna thank a gain for the advises.
I'll try these softs that you notice me !
regards;
Taba
Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Taba,

Your CS2 software should have come bundled with Adobe Camera Raw. But for the D40, you may need a more recent release of the Raw software (I think version 3.7 is now downloadable from Adobe).

Certainly, Adobe Camera Raw can handle 16 bits (even if some of the functionalities in CS2 cannot). I'd propose sticking to 8 bits anyway (smaller files; faster processing times) as, for the purposes of normal digital photography, you won't notice any difference between the two formats.

Best wishes

Stephen
Old 07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Taba, I've got access to PS CS3, PS Elements 5.0 and Nikon Capture NX. I haven't (yet) grasped how to use layers and there's so much to learn on CS3 that I barely no where to start.

Yes, Capture NX is a little slower than some but I totally disagree with the comment about it not being user-friendy.

The "u-point" technology "colour-points" are absolutely superb and allow changes on a very local basis - i.e. the change can be limited to a pre-determined area and don't change the values right across the photo - unless you want them to.

Capture NX is an excellent, if a little slow, RAW converter and image manipulator (combined) and I find it extremely intuitive - but that's perhaps the way I'm wired. I find CS3 quite labour-intensive - although Adobe Bridge (a sort of cut down version of Lightroom) is a useful addition.

Overall, as a fellow Nikon user, I recommend Capture NX as I've produced better results with it than any other pievce of software I've used.

Paul.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:35 PM
TE Newbie

Paul's a lot cleverer and more patient than me. I've never been so tempted to throw the PC out of the window then when I was grappling with the NX menus. But I agree it offers excellent results and the U-point technology is unique. I even bought the software in the hope that I'd master it but no (so, without wanting to turn this into eBay, any offers for the program disks?).

My preference is for DxO v4.2 which is a RAW converter, basic image manipulator and more (including precise correction of optical distortion). What I can't do in DxO, I do in CS2.

But each to his own and may you be happy with what you find best for you.

Best wishes

Stephen