Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 01:38 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Please remove Middle East Region!!

Nice to see you jumping to the defence of your fellow imbeciles Paul.

I'm with you on the lack of tact, but your accusations of ignorance, apathy, prejudice and lack of intelligence are rather wide of the mark.

Where is the prejudice in saying that people in the Middle East lack freedome of speech? It's a statement of fact - even in moderate, secular Turkey journalists are frequently imprisoned for saying the 'wrong thing'.

You said: "You have the right to free speech no matter where you are in the world"
If you pulled your head out of your arse for a second you'd realise what a laughable, and indeed ignorant statement that was.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
TE Senior Member

"But just start with learning some respect!"

I have plenty of respect for people who have earnt it Olcay, but with your idiotic comments and general historical amnesia you have earnt nothing but my derision.

Perhaps you should look more closely at your own country's history (remember the Ottoman Empire?) before making wild accusations of British imperialism.
Your comments about the millions of dead killed by the British are especially laughable coming from a citizen of the country responsible for the first genocide of the 20th century.

"you dont even know the meaning of it (freedom of speech) my friend"

A failing seemingly shared by your government who regularly imprison journalists and writers for mentioning the above genocide.

I've visited your country many times, and I'm so glad that the wonderful people that I was lucky enough to meet there were nothing like you.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Please remove Middle East Region!! - Caucase

Well, from USA, England or France, you can call the region as “Middle EAST”, because the region is in the east of all these places. However, as a person living in Turkey, I don’t have to adopt and accept this ready made name handled to me. Some people in THE WEST arranged the names and many people here are indirectly dictating us to adopt their point of view. The fact that the source of the term originates from the UN documents doesn’t change the reality. Considering the associations with the term “middle east” It is not just. So, I agree with Olcay. The most objective way is to use plain geographical terms which don’t evoke some political, social, historical connotations.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM
TE Senior Member

I can't stop thinking that your title is quite funny...
"Remove the middle east region".

Will you start complaining when you'll realise that in english Turkey shares the same name as an ugly bird, and you don't think that your country is the same thing as an ugly bird?

It reminds me of some early physics lectures: If something is too complicated for you in one coordinate system, then just use another one. It makes things simpler in the end.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:07 PM
TE Newbie

Well, I see some people are (ab)using the advantage of adequacy in English. I don't think we can come to somewhere by playing with the flexibility of the language. It is quite clear here what is meant. We just don't want to consent to the point of view that was set upon the region when this name was given. You can't have failed to see the point here. And, a last word, This "ugly bird" story adds to nothing, I suppose. I won't even argue the issue with you.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
TE Expert

We have to agree with Hasan at least in one point: the Middle East is called that way by people who live west of it.
Of course it is a political/historical/culturally-biased denomination. A plain geographical/cientifical denomination would be Western Asia.

The "ugly bird" story is, of course, just for fun. By the way, in my language (Portuguese), the word for that "ugly bird" is exactly the same as the name of another country, in South America: Peru. And I suspect that the name of Portugal is at the root of the Turkish (portakal) and Greek (πορτοκάλι) words for a "juicy fruit" (orange).
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM
TE Newbie

and turkish word for India also means "turkeyland"!!:) these are just funny, unimportant things and i have no complaint about that.
but i dont think my title is funny, its totally a different issue..i'd meant it to be impressive though:)

and
Portugal -> Portekiz
Orange -> Portakal
there is more a cross-correlation:)

0lcay
Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
TE Expert

I remembered two other Portuguese words related to the Turkish nation:
- turco ("Turkish"): it is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davit" target=_blank>davit</a> in English.
- turco or toalha turca: it is a good quality bath towel.
I guess this are simply too other examples of the influence of Turkish culture (in this case in a rather far country as Portugal).
Regards, F.