Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 11-10-2007, 07:50 AM
TE Newbie

Default A Simple Question

Hello I want to start shooting photos but I still have this problem of what camera I should buy. Only thing for sure is that it has to be not expensive but at the same time very much functional? Sad to say, i do have a limited budget but I really want to start shooting great photos! Thanks for the help...=)
Old 11-10-2007, 03:46 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: A Simple Question

Tell us a bit more about what kind of pictures you want to take - buildings, people, landscapes, animals? What is your price range?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 AM
TE Newbie

since i'm just staring i think i'd go for the inanimate first, probably landscapes? i am interested in capturing beautiful places then when i get used to this craft maybe beautiful places with people.. uhm i think i can handle USD 500 or less? you think that would be good enough? thanks...=)
Old 11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
TE Junior Member

Try to find a second-hand Nikon D70 or a Canon 300D (both with standard 18-70 or similar lenses). These cameras will operate as point-and-shoot (using programme mode) as well as offering more creative options whenever you're ready for that. You can also buy additional lenses when you are ready to do so. In my opinion, buying pocket-sized point and shoot cameras is a waste of money as you will soon be bored with the lack of creativity they offer and then you will have to move up to an SLR anyway...
Paul.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
TE Expert

I wouldn't buy second hand (unless refurbished by the company itself) in the US, let alone Phillipines. The 300D is a bit old now, and for not much more a 350D is better, see if you can have a friend or family to bring it back from USA, where it should be much cheaper than in the Ph. Here's an example from a reliable store (with 18-55 lens included):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/530653-REG/Canon__EOS_REBEL_XT_w_18_55.html
Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello
I think you can find a lot of useful advices on the web.
I usually refer to http://www.dpreview.com to have a serious technical review of the upcoming models.
If you are not experienced with photography, I am not sure you have to start with a reflex camera (SLR)... I strongly recommend you go for a bridge camera. These have many functionalities (manual or automatic) and offer very good zooming modes... with, what I consider essential : an image stabiliser (anti-shaking).
I don't want to point towards a specific brand... but don't think Canon and Nikon are the only ones in the world. There are many other very good cameras (Sony and Panasonic among others in the bridge range).
Wishing you good luck in your choice.
Eric /.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM
TE Newbie

I have to agree. It's hard to trust anyone around here...hehehe. But seriously, maybe i'll just find one here locally because I don't know anyone going out of the country anytime soon. I'm really excited to start (thanks to TE and TEpeople) i hope i'll get a good check this coming december, please Lord, make me buy my camera...=)

So based from what you guys said, i'm supposed to look for a nikon D70 or a canon 300 or 350 if possible. else, there's sony or panasonic bridge cams i an turn to. ok i think the sales personnel can explain all about bridge cams. i guess i'm too embarrassed to any more. hehe. you've been great! thanks, thanks to you all...=)