Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 AM
TE Newbie

Default Compact Camera Case for Tanzania Travel

I'm looking to go to Africa for the first time this summer. The theme of the trip is light and compact. I am bringing my Nikon D40. I recently ordered a lowepro mini aw. It turned out to be a deal bulkier than I imagined. I am looking to carry a body, an 18-55mm lens. What are some recomendations for a case/bag that is compact, efficient, and good for African travel?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Compact Camera Case for Tanzania Travel

I suggest going into a shop that carries a range of Lowepro bags and finding one yourself Houston. I don't know about you- but I rarely purchase something without first trying/ checking it out in the shop first.

Best of luck and have a good trip!
- Dan
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Compact Camera Case for Tanzania Travel

To be honest, I'd be less worried about my bag and concentrate more on the kit I ws taking.

The D40's a good camera and the kit lens that comes with it is okay. However, are you going on safari? If so (and you haven't been on one before) you'll be surprised at how much magnification you'll need to fill the frame and get meaningful shots.

18-55mm will get you some nice landscapes and portraits - even of animals if you get close enough. Personally, I'd be loking to get a 70-300mm zoom as well (the Nikkor "VR" version is very good) or a 300mm f2.8 lens if you can stretch to one.

As for the bag, it needs to suit your bodyshape, kit requirements and travel method. We can't decide for you - though on the last occasion I went to Kenya, I had a Lowepro MiniTrekker AW with 2 DSLRs, 5 lenses, flashgun, filters and assorted accessories. It weighed more than my clothes.

Travel as light as you need to but, if you're not going to be back for a while, don't risk missing out on the memories of a lifetime. Good luck.