Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great phwall 2009-10-24 17:48

Hello Antonio,
With the Portuguese so close to Australia, it is no wonder they sailed around Australia mapping its shoreline many hundreds of years before Captain Cook's voyage of discovery. It seems Cook, or rather Banks had with him an extremely accurate map, compliments of the Portuguese, of the East Coast of Australia, so accurate was the map that when the Endeavor ran onto the reef in North Queensland that bears its name, Cook used the map to sail the eighty nautical miles to Cooktown to repair his ship. Interesting that he had so much faith in the map that he sailed eighty miles into the "unknown" with a ten foot diameter hole in the bottom of his boat.
In your travels keep an eye out for a book called, "The Mahogany Ship", it is a very good read that puts history straight. Anyway I digress.......
I like your shot, it documents the important history and culture that the Portuguese left behind, I also enjoyed looking at the two additional shots.
Good work, tfs.
Have a good Sunday.
Regards
Peter

Old 10-25-2009, 05:26 AM
TE Expert

Default To phwall: a book called

hi Peter,
Another important book on the same subject of the discovery of Australia is <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Portuguese_discovery_of_Australia>The Secret Discovery of Australia</a>, by Kenneth G. McIntyre, published in 1977.
Thnaks for the comment and visit.
Cheers,
Antonio