Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2020-04-26 0:47

Hello Paul,
By a funny coincidence I have a photo coming up any day now from the same kind of moment a few hundred meters further up the street. But there are many more persons in your photos than in mine. There are also many more colours and architecture in these photos. The cityscape across the river looks quite different from what I remember from only 12 years ago, most obvious in WS #1. These photos are all nicely composed from well chosen angles with attractive diagonals and marvellous colours.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 04-26-2020, 12:46 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Thank you, Gert!

Thank you, Gert, for your kind words and also for a workshop image which is without doubt a very considerable improvement on my efforts.

With regard to the "scan", I have not so far invested in any new scanner but am simply using my smaller camera - the one I used to use when I went walking with my old pals before "lockdown" (a second-hand Canon M5 mirrorless camera) - with a macro lens attached and I photograph the slide illuminated by a lightbox. The results seem pretty reasonable but I find that there is always a need to do some Photoshop work, usually by reducing contrast considerably. In this case there definitely was far too much blue and I actually reduced it a great deal. Trouble is I find that my eyes soon "adapt" to a colour cast and in this case I obviously still didn't reduce the blue quite enough.

As I think I might have mentioned before, my feeling about scanners was that there was no point in buying a cheap one as I've tried them and they're useless. And the most important parts of any scanner must surely be the lens and the image sensor - and I already own a good lens and a very good image sensor (in my camera). And I've read a lot of articles on the internet in which several photographers have had very good results with a technique like the one I've been trying.

Anyway, thank you again for doing such a good job in correcting that colour cast. About the actual picture taking: at seventeen I was very, very shy too and I would definitely have avoided approaching a stranger such as this man with a camera, especially in a foreign country. I can't exactly remember, but I suspect that I was wandering around here in a small group of classmates from my school with, probably, a teacher as a guide and, as we all know, teenagers do seem to gain supreme confidence when in a group. Yes, I definitely imagine that was the scenario. In fact, I can remember just how shy I was at this tender age: just a few months after this I started at medical school and was a bit nervous when faced with the anatomy dissecting room - but that was nothing compared to a year or two later when, in a hospital ward setting, I had to interview and examine my first patient - that was terrifying.

Many thanks again.

Take care and stay safe.

Kind Regards,

John.