Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Publicasion permision

A question to anyone that has something to say on this topic. I have been approached by a writer for World Today, asking permision to use one of my shots. I would be given credit and a copy of the magazine but no payment since it is a charity organization. Looking at their website seems that they work on a subscription basis which does not look like a charity to me. Any thoughts on what would be the right course of action for this one? Here's the magazine site. www.theworldtoday.org
Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
TE Senior Member

Default charity

on their website they have this written; "The magazine normally expects contributors to cede copyright of their contributions. In these circumstances we allow re-publication without prior authorisation, provided that publication in The World Today is acknowledged and our website address included. Should you wish to retain copyright please let us know at the time of submission."
It's good that they contact you, they look quite serious . . . but you should decide if you want to cede your copyright or not.
BUT . . . there is a difference between copyright and the right to get paid for your work. It doesn't say that they don't pay the people who work for them . . . and I think it would only be normal to get some money if they do . . . again; write them and ask.
Tell them who contacted you, they will say if they know this person, that might also help you to establish if this is serious for you to consider or not.
hope it helps,
regards,
David
Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: charity

Funny that they should ask for credit for someone reusing their articles, but mention nothing concerning credit of the author. Jacek, I would refuse permission. Never concede copyright. This will result in your losing any future publication possibilities. I deal with non-profits quite often, and willingly give them permission to use images, but I never give them copyright. Furthermore, none have ever asked to this. The World Today is a membership driven publication, just like any other magazine or publication.

Its obviously your decision, but to me they are preying on the egos of those who want to see their work published. Its really fun to see your work published, and I still like to see how my work is used, but giving up copyright isn't worth it.

~Vic~
Old 05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: charity

Jacek, as someone who writes sea angling articles for a magazine and two local newspapers, whatever you do, do not sign your copyright away, even if you do not want a fee for it being used, find out more about the charity first, but it sounds a bit iffy to me. That one photograph you sign your rights away for, might in the future make someone a lot of money and all you would get is a credit. Michale Jackson, Beatles spring to mind.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Publicasion permision

Thanx for all the advice. It really does help. Now at least I kind of know what to look for in this instance and if it ever happened again.

So the person that contacted me seems to be the writer of the article not the magazine itself. I will contact the magazine and inquire about the copyrights and the other important things.

Cheers

Other comments are still welcome.