Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great agjika 2012-11-24 15:46

Hi John,
Nice shot and you have caught the interaction between the child and his parents very well which is what this is about, however! as you already know this shot would look better without the man at the back.

I have removed him for you but do not say "Now you are showing off Aleks because I am!!!

Thanks for sharing

Aleks

Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To agjika: Tecnical bits!

Hi John,
When cloning first I look at the size of the job and its complexity. In this case I "rated" it as of "medium" difficultiy as there are some edges to recreate and you have some hair to deal with. Also working on a 800 px wide photo is much more difficult that a 5000 px wide so you would normally work on the large image, when you compress it after cloning the work looks even neater.

I did not just just clone in this case I mostly used Layer Masks. Basically I made a rectangular selection of the unspoilt part on the right up to the head of the man. Pasted that selection on a new layer and moved it to the left to cover the head and extend dhe black woodwork. This patch is larger that the patch you need to cover up. Having the layer mask selected choose a soft black brush (black/white colours must be on) and remove extra bits around the pasted patch. For a neater finish you need to epxeriment with differnet brush sized and opacities. E.g. to remove the fine border lines use a 50% opacity bursh. In the end there were some bits and pieces left that I simply cloned out using the clone tool. Flatten the image out or choose Save As jpg which flattens it anyway.

That's all there is to it, but these things are better learned by doing, just have a go and it will all happen!

I hope this was of help.

Regards

Aleks
PS. I am assuming that you have the Photoshop software.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM
TE Expert

Default Thank you, Aleks!

Dear Aleks,

Thank you for your reply and for taking the time to explain exactly what you did here to clone out that head!

Unlike yourself, I don't have the "full" version of Photoshop but Photoshop Elements 9 does have layer masks so I could do exactly as you say with that, I think.

I'll definitely have to give it a go.

Kind Regards,

John.