Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2014-04-07 4:06

Hi Arnie,

This is a brilliant picture of Conwy Castle, part of old Longshanks' "Ring of Iron", taken from a very innovative viewpoint too.

Your high viewpont has given you a wonderfully strong perspective and also allowed you to include not only the two people atop the high tower but also the colourfully dressed people proceeding along the walkway beneath you. It has also allowed you to exclude the sky which, I suspect, would probably have been both overly bright and also uninteresting. Nice to include the river down below as well.

A very fine picture with lovely light and colours, perfect exposure and excellent details.

Lovely!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I note (from your exif data) that you use Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer for processing your pictures. Is that the free one that comes with Windows? I'm not sure how good it is but have you ever thought of getting Photoshop Elements? The newer versions of Photoshop Elements (version 12 is out now) are fabulous and have a wealth of features. Elements normally retails for about £80 but, if you keep your eyes peeled, Amazon now and again have it on offer for around £40 or less. Just a thought, Arnie!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: RE Photoshops.

Hi John,
Thanks for you critique.
Yes it is the one that comes with windows, there are so many different photo shops out there I can't decide which is the best.
Regards Arnie.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
TE Expert

Default Photoshop versions.......

Hi Arnie,

As I say, I use Photoshop Elements - as do many people in my local camera club too - and I have found that it really does more than enough for me. I have Elements 11 which I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago. At that time the going price was something like £65 or £70 but I bought it when Amazon had an offer going - they do that every now and again - you just need to keep looking and keep your eyes peeled - and I got a "bundled" version of Photoshop Elements 11 and Photoshop Premier Elements 11 (a programme for video editing which I've not actually used yet) for a total of £48.

The latest version of Elements is Elements 12 and it seems to get good write-ups. I've just had a quick glance on Amazon and they have it for £68. But Amazon might well do an offer soon and, of course, there are other places you can get it.

As I say, I've never really found that Elements won't do all I need. The full version of Photoshop costs around £700 and would have far, far too many features most of which I'd never use or even have a clue about how to use! And, of course, as of last year, you can no longer actually buy it from Adobe - you have to rent it on a monthly basis and that can work out pretty expensive.

There are, of course, other imaging programmes too like Corel but I would certainly recommend Photoshop Elements. And, if you're stuck on how to use it, there's hundreds of helpful sites on-line as well as hundreds of good YouTube videos which can help you out even if Elements' own help files are pretty useless.

And, of course, the other advantage of these programmes is that they will allow you to convert your RAW files too - and edit RAW files before conversion as well. I'm sure that the Windows programme won't allow you to do that.

Anyway, Arnie, that's just my twopence-worth. Not sure if I can be of any more help but please feel free to reply if you want any further discussion!

Kindest Regards,

John.