Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-21-2004, 12:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: TOS Changes and More

C'est très juste ne partagent que ceux qui ont un minimum de compétences. Ce sont ces compétences qui permettent de créer la photo et par là même d'être communiquant sur TE, si l'oeil va à l'imagette c'est parce qu'elle ne présente pas de défaut de composition et de technique visible, sur l'image elle même le ressenti va de l'émotion à la froideur technique, c'est suffisant pour échanger. L'echange ainsi est conforme à ce qu'on proposé les initiateurs de ce site et nous qui l'animont. Alors le point ou pas le point ?
Un commentaire m'amènera dans tous les cas à me rendre sur les photos de celui qui me l'a donné, il aura une trace de mon passage donc partage. Une critique, même chose.
Je crois qu'adam est souscieux d'un niveau de qualité de ce site et que celui ci soit traçable, par les points issus de critiques au sens littéral et culturel des Anglosaxons.
Je prèfère qu'il laisse en l'état, en renforcant sa communication dans ce sens, ainsi il laissera aux partageurs la possibilité d'évoluer par un partage qui se fait et se perrenise naturelement, au début on dira bravo, et des points, puis en progressant grace aux contacts on justifiera l'émotion ressentie dans des communications plus riches.
Je suis heureux sur ce site, j'y ai des partages riches, je connais mieux le monde et la photographie, je lis des notes, je travaille à composer des notes, mon regard évolue, ma technique photographique progresse à grand pas et au final depuis un mois je photographie beaucoup mieux et je communique mieux.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:40 PM
TE Expert

I think that's fine if it's specific to the image in question. If I click on that critiquer's critiques and read 20 in a row of 3-4 word critiques about the subject in a general way, I wouldn't think that would be ok.

Note that the new TOS is almost identical to the old TOS. It didn't really change that much, apart from no longer allowing 'points later' stuff. And I plan on allowing smilies (without points) even after the daily limith has been exceeded. Hopefully that will be done over the weekend.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:41 PM
TE Senior Member

T U everything looks allright. Géneral De Gaulle would have say "je vous ai compris"
Thanks again for this site and all your attention
Jean Michel
Old 10-24-2004, 01:00 AM
TE Newbie

Default punishment?

* I do not like the idea of "punishment". I understand that members should not be focusing on points but on sincere appreciation and on the process of learning. If Treakearth wants to encourage this, it should do so by changing the way the point/critiques system works and not by the threat of penalties.

* I do not know much about photography, technically. But I like to show that a picture I saw "touched" me. Unfortunately, the way comments are now presented makes them being ignored.

* Maybe a more definite point-system (… for technique, … for the idea, … for the total result, etc) would help us understand which aspect of our picture gained the attention of the others. It would also make things easier for those who do not speak English fluently.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:19 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: punishment?

'I do not like the idea of "punishment".'

Ideally, I would agree, but this is a practical solution which I like.

"Unfortunately, the way comments are now presented makes them being ignored."

If you don't mind, you may go to your profile and re-enable comments being displayed directly so that it will show up with the critiques.

"Maybe a more definite point-system"

The point system is simple by design. It will probably not be made more complicated by adding more point features. Although I understand your reasoning. However I feel that points aren't important, critiques are.

"It would also make things easier for those who do not speak English fluently."

Members may write critiques in their native language if they are uncomfortable writing in English.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:04 AM
TE Newbie

Haloo Adam!
I have my critiquing ability turned off:-(
My English is very poor,that why my critiques include broad generalizations.But i know which work is good and which is bad. If I like a picture I want fell free to tell so and
give as points as I believe!!
Could You allow me rate the photos and to write critiques?
Thanks.
Yuriy Verbovskyy.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:36 AM
TE Expert

If you are right Yuriy that your critic ability is turned off, this is of course according to the new TOS.

You should have written your critics in Russian then (if that is a language you know) so we could see, and the site owner evaluate, your skills after the Babelfish translation – where the result is like coming from a 1 year old baby.

Tell you what: If you need moral support you will have mine any time and all the time. Any community that classifies the population by quality criteria’s as this makes me freeze. Presently I am very unsure if I can continue on TE, because even with the unimportance of this site, politically seen, I can hardly tolerate such actions.

I know it is up to me to leave. But turning the back to a problem is not so good either. As this is not only a forum for displaying photos, but also a place where notes and the diversity from all around the world is essential. I have several times suggested: Let’s skip the smileys and artificial difference between critics and comments, so that we all can act on a more equal basis –regardless of language or technical skills.

As long as this smiley and point system is there - no member should be excluded from participating.

A little more than 10 years ago you probably wouldn't be able to connect at all to a US website, to day you are disabled from using 'smileys' -what a world!
Old 11-05-2004, 11:47 AM
TE Expert

Hi Yuriy, Jack has some good points here. Personally, I'd be happy to receive any comments form you in Russian, just to keep my hand in, and as Jack says, Babel fish great, almost as good as its namesake (do you know the hitcher hiker's guide?) I also think that if that is reason you've been turned off, the application of the new TOS policy has been rather harsh. I my espereince the balance of critiques I've had from you have been more than just general praise.

However, I do think there is some worhtwhile validity to the initiative to try and get away from caring abuot points, and more towards stimulating active debate about photography. I think the way this policy is applied needs care and flexibility.

I hope you'll not get too cross about it Jack, and hope Adam will reinstate Yuriy, who's certainly one of the sites serious engaging members.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:44 PM
TE Senior Member

The current rules are very simple. You don't have to write a "quality" critique but if you write a critique, it must contain some specifics. That is, it must be a "critique." If you don't want to or can't write a critique then you can write a comment (which, by the way, also include smiley faces -- nobody is disabled from using smileys). There is no significant barrier to participation considering the fact that you don't even have to write in English.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:12 PM
TE Newbie

Here's a skill that I learnt in university that I thought would never be of use in the pratical world, "speed reading". In order for me to kind of keep tabs on where the Trekearth community is moving I speed read the fourms. Like just now.
Another strange effect that Trekearth has had on me is that I'm doing my best to keep my points under 500.;-) Finally I have become an under-achiever, still can't spell right, but my mom would be so pround of me.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the visual world can not be so worked over that we can create an exact language for visual images. Our eyes would be tripping over our tonques or visa versa. I do feel that Trekearth has some wonderful attributes, like new fourm potentials, workshops, themes and techniques that everyone could be happy.
I would like if someone could let me know if my written critiques are only comments. I'll check back in the next week or so as I have to work for a living to pay off my debt for my plastic toys. My work also takes me far away from my computer and the phone line.
Cheers Jeannie