Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 PM
TE Newbie

Default Better resizing first or last?

Assuming I have a picture of 2000 pixels which has to be resized down to 800 px for TE. If I want to do some corrections to it, like changing saturization, light etc., is it better to resize it first down to 800px and then apply any changes or do the resizing after I have finished with all that changes?

There maybe a standard procedure to produce the best result for an experienced photographer, which, of course, I am not.

Thanks in advance, for any replies.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Better resizing first or last?

Karamanlis -

Resize your image as the second to last thing that you do. In the image resize dialog - reset the resolution to 100px first then reset the largest dimension to 800px (make sure height and width are linked). The last thing to do is sharpen the image.

John
Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks John, a very detailed description. The resolution is already at 72px, so I can only resize it to 800.

Anastassios.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:10 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Anastassios!
When you do some edit to your photo some information maye be lose in edge of elements in your photo and specially when you use noise reduction software, so if you want resolve this problem! it's better to do your correction and adjustment then resize your photo and dont forget resize your photo only for one time! if you resize a photo more than one time your photo may lose details and quality.
Hope be useful!
Regards
Amir
Old 09-16-2005, 01:40 PM
TE Junior Member

It doesn't make much difference to the result, I think, unless you're also planning to do something else with your processed image (print it, for example). There is some advantage in working with the smaller image, in that you can work at 100% and see every pixel. And photoshop is less sluggish. You can convert to 16-bit beforehand if you wish to be absolutely sure to lose nothing, and convert back to 8 as your final step. Even if I want a large version, I often make a small one first, to see how it works.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:02 AM
TE Expert

It seems to me it's better to PS work on as many pixels as possible, especially if you need to do some detail work...On detailed parts of the shot, any type of work. Likewise, i think better to sharpen that bigger image, because there too, working on lesser pixels is likely to have a less controlled overall effect on the whole image.
To sum it up, resizing is like printing for TE, so to speak. Nothing to do with the quality or wish on your part, concerning the intrinsec value of your shot and "beautifying" it, just formatting it it so TE can digest it. More communication related than editing, and resizing should not affect the editing you've done, for a web format, unless you really screwed around the pixels a lot.
IMO
Old 09-23-2005, 11:24 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Better resizing first or last? ** My method **

Hi

Here it is my method. You can see the results at my photos. I use the Nikon large RAW or JPEG images for this example:

My Nikon is 6.1MP so produce 3008x2000 pixels photos. Too large for TE. I must resize them. Here it is my method:

- First I'm taking a look if my photo wants to fix the horizon. If I must to do this I do it. I crop ta black areas and then I do an unsharp mask (USM).
- Then I resize the photo down to 50%. Doing another USM. Now my photo is 1500xsomething pixels
- Doing another resize down to 1024xsomething pixels. Doing another USM
- I'm post processing my photo (brightness, cropping, saturation etc.) and I'm adding a simple frame (usually 30 pixels all around). When I'm finish my work, doing another USM
- Resize down to 800xsomething pixels to fits with TE needs. Adding a signature or everything I want and then I do the final USM

Voila! Ready for upload! :)

Best regards
Mpampis
Old 09-28-2005, 05:00 PM

Apply any corrections, resize, then sharpen.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:42 PM
TE Expert

Agree Adrian,
This is the most simple yet effective method!
1- work the raw or jpeg file
2- resize
3- sharp
4- upload :P

Mário
Old 10-01-2005, 04:40 AM
TE Newbie

Adrian & Mario,
Would you consider a different workflow for printing?
Jeannie