Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2013-05-09 14:38

Hello Aleks,

Well, having just written a long critique of your last picture, I thought I'd best write something about this one too!

Pretty much all I said about the last one also applies to this one and, of course, I still can't really make up my mind which one I prefer - they are both stunningly beautiful photographs with fabulous autumnal colours as well as both being technically perfect.

But, now that I look again at the two of them (I have them open in separate "windows"), if I really had to choose between them, I think that this one would be my fabourite. However, as I said before, I'd love them both hung in my living room and I'd be very, very proud to have taken either of these lovely photographs!

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Preference!

Hi John,

Thank you for your lengthy comments, much apprediated. I had had the same dilema as you. With the first photo I tried to "break the rules" it focuses the eye to the undergrowth and looks rather "dreamy" however as soon as you look a bit up you feel you want to see more! The second photo is just a classic crop and I kind of prefer it now! I suppose it is "classic" for a reason!

Thanks again

Aleks
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM
TE Expert

Default Composition and cropping.......

Hi Aleks,

Yes, composition is something with which I really struggle too. There are "rules" which can either be obeyed or not obeyed and, of course, the whole thing is just so subjective - what you like, I might hate and vice versa. A bit like different tastes in music, food and so on.

Do you ever come back from a photo trip or even a holiday, look at what you think might be your best pictures and then think, "Gosh, I wish I had just moved a couple of feet to the right or left to take that one!"? And, of course, you can't go back and take it again because that picture was taken a long way away. It happens to me all the time!

I couldn't help noticing comments which Gert (holmertz) made in his critiques of these two pictures. Have you been on a course or been studying photography? If so, that could be very interesting and very helpful too.

I recently joined the local camera club. It has been good but the pictures which win all the top prizes are ones which I would call examples of "graphic art" rather than photography - usually a compilation of several different images blended in Photoshop. Very, very expertly done but not what I would call true "photography" and not something which really appeals to me.

Kind Regards,

John.