Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To daddo: Skrapar

Hi Klaudio,
I did not know that Skrapar meant stony terrain, but I know it now! I am sure you are right because Skrapar in most parts has a very rugged and stony terrain, rocky mountains, canyons etc.. I do not know what you mean by "my dialect in Dalmatia" though, do mean slavic? There are quite a few slavic place names in Skrapar thought to have been set during the time of Bulgar empire early middle ages.

Regards

Aleks
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Skrapar

Hi Aleks. It was just an hypothesis as the word doesn't sound Slavic. There used to be a dalmatian language but the last speaker died at the start of the 20th century- it was a Latin/Italian thing with maybe some Illyrian roots.. In modern Dalmatian we have a mix of all things (lots of Venetian)and in Arbanasi from the Albanian descendants we have Albanian words also, maybe some are even Illyrian. The word Dalmatia has Illyrian origins. I thought you may recognize the word for stony and barren terrain.regards. Klaudio.