To dmarizz: The mystery of f/20 - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

xuaxo 2008-06-10 9:17

Olá Filipe
Uma paisagem maravilhosa. Um misto de ilha da Madeira com Ásia. Quem tem estas belezas em Portugal não precisa ir mais longe para tirar fotos até esgotar o cartão ou as pilhas.
Contudo, parece-me que a imagem ficou muito escura (mesmo que seja real, devido eventualmente à hora). Fiz uns ajustes em workshop, talvez exagerando um pouco e obtendo um resultado menos real.
Um abraço,
F

Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
TE Expert

Default To dmarizz: The mystery of f/20

Hi Dario,

Thanks for your enthusiastic message. It's appreciated.

The reason why I've choose a very small aperture is because I was located on a dam, under which water was fiercely propelled every 5 minutes... So the channel was very wavy and I wish to minimize this effect to achieve a silky smooth surface of the water. So therefore, at f/22, I had the chance to make a very long exposure of 55 seconds, and now the water looks calm and peaceful, just like the global scene. Also, it helped me to get a vague reflection that blends with the misty surrounding.

Now, believe me, this photo is pin sharp, because I was on a very stable concrete platform and hidden behind a pile of construction material, so there was no wind at all. The only reason why my photo seems to lack sharpness, is because I didn't add any treatment to sharpened it. In high resolution, you can see what time it is on an alarm clock, from the window of a bedroom on Mont Saint-Michel... Okay, this one was for the laugh... :-P). But it is really sharp, no question about it.

Cheers!

André
Old 06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To dmarizz: The mystery of f/20

Hi,
I am happy that you have taken into consideration my comment. In my experience with a quite good camera (the Canon 30D) but with an average lens (EF-S 17-85) I am often forced to avoid too closed apertures, even when I want to get "milky water", as the blurring is behind the corner.
It is great the degree of freedom that a fantastic camera like Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III + an L class lens gives to a great photographer like you. I envy your results. Regards, Dario.