Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2013-12-17 8:58

Hi Bev,

A fascinating note you have written - and with some interesting links - and what a remarkable photograph!

This huge flock of starlings actually looks quite scary to me - it looks like a huge Stealth Bomber creeping up on you, especially with those big electricity pylons there as well. Some shades of Hitchcock in there too, I fancy - just a wee bit spooky.

Interestingly, I see that one of the pictures on the BBC website looks as though it has been taken from the very same viewpoint where you were standing when you took this one.

This really is a wonderful nature shot and very well taken. Have you tried sending pictures to the BBC for publication on their website? I have, but never got anything shown on the website and never received any acknowledgement or thanks either.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Starlings

Hi John,
thanks for your critique. I haven't posted this to the BBC site as there are so many better ones. Having said that, another shot I took at this time was posted to flickr and was added by them to their 'Explore' feature. I was knocked out to see that it was viewed over 12,000 times and favourite 132 times. The power of the internet! I titled it "Twister" as it looks just like the meteorological phenomenon. Wish I'd posted it here. Take a look at the photos of one of my contacts and Annanite Tom Langlands. He has some fab photos of these murmurations at Rigg. He has his own website too.
Bev
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM
TE Expert

Default Murmurations and Photographers........

Hi Bev,

Thank you for your reply!

Although I do have an account with Flickr, it must be a year or more since I've looked at the website. But I did look last night and saw not only some of your own wonderful pictures but I also had a good squint at some of Tom Langlands' ones too.

I don't know about you, but when I look at the likes of pictures from Tom Langlands, I just think, "What's the point?" and wonder if I should give up and just sell all my camera equipment on Ebay. And, of course, I see that he's a member of the Dumfries Camera Club too - we've had another chap from that club (a retired GP actually) called Edmund Fellowes come and speak at our club in Carluke. He also takes amazing wildlife shots, mainly of birds.

The Dumfries club is one of the very best camera clubs in Scotland. Have you ever been to any of their meetings or ever thought of joining up? I joined our one in Carluke about a year ago and have found it very inspiring though I do find the competitive spirit can be a bit too strong for my liking. I like to take pictures for my own pleasure but there are many in the club who seem to take pictures just for the purpose of winning competitions.

What really amazes me is that there appear to be three or four clubs in Scotland which regularly beat all the others hands down in competitions. They include Dumfries and Carluke and a couple of others. It really is incredible that these clubs always seem to beat the likes of the big Edinburgh and Glasgow clubs.

So, yes, Bev, the camera club is good fun so long as you don't take it too seriously. It's great for inspiration too. But, quite honestly, I don't see myself ever coming up with anything like those red squirrel pictures Tom Langlands has on his Flickr page!

Take Care and have a Wonderful Christmas!

Kindest Regards,

John.