Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bkester 2006-02-19 15:07

hi vergel,
nice shot, i will post a workshop later on (making the foreground darker, so as to make it stand out more against the sky and the lantern light). anyway, good luck with your new camera! do you like it?

Old 02-19-2006, 06:26 PM
TE Expert

Default To KevRyan: Hi Kev,

Sorry I haven't answered even your yesterday's question... have been busy, friends coming over etc. In April, the weather around here is usually already human, i.e. it can be a bit like in Europe but still somewhat cooler. Yet a few years ago when I went to Hungary on April 4th, my plane had to be cancelled because of the snow storms. Likely that wouldn't happen if you were planning on coming :-)
As to Vancouver, I haven't been there yet but a good friend of mine lives there and the climate is entirely different... I have been to California only on the West Coast, but not up here. Why so curious? Am curious that you are curious! :-)))
Forgive, we have to rush off but will be back later on.
And thanks for your kind comments
s
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To KevRyan: Hi Kev,

We're crossing over posts here - Frances and I have been given a British Airways ticket to go anywhere in the world on any direct flight that they run (subject to 15,000 conditions) - we can't break flights and stop over, travel on any partner's aircraft, swop classes - upgrade or downgrade to availability etc.

We also have to do it before May 18th.

It's non-transferable - in our names only - so thankyou British Airways BUT...this is a little sudden - we have no money, plans or ideas (or rather too many), two young men to house (and a house to repair) and be looked after in some way and a 6 week festival (as director) beginning the week we come back - we can only go the 8th - 22nd April - so where on earth shall we go!?

Frances would like to:

Go to Ghana - to explore her ancestral roots
Go to Jamaica - to show me where she grew up
Go to St Lucia - to explore her father's background

....but for one rason or another none of these seem so feasible.

Kev would like to go to India - to meet Evren and other (photographer and film making) friends in Delhi and to travel west through Rajasthan and play sandcastles in the Thar Desert.

We have both discussed Australia (big family venue for me) - New Zealand, Thailand, Vietnam, Brazil (to see friends), Argentina - a fairly near to booking experience, Japan - but could we afford it? We also talked about visiting our cousin in Montreal (and who knows popping over to see you for an hour or two or three) and we considered the States.!

Frances seems half convinced if I go anywhere where there is the least possibility of me getting a tropical disease I will after the last seven/eight year episode - so is not so keen....."if we need jabs I ain't going!"

We're still looking at Japan, Beijing as a route into China and now quite seriously and completely left of field - out of nowhere - Vancouver and BC.

This is current favourite!!!

tc Kev
Old 02-20-2006, 04:56 AM
TE Expert

This makes me filled with mirth, Kev, indeed you are two sweet turtle doves, it seems to me, I love your childlike dreaming! I await your decision... but think it over... Rajahstan would be one on the top of my list, or Vietnam, or Thailand... definitely Nottawa ;-). Montreal is a charming city, though, and Vancouver, well, an urban centre of the developed world. I myself am much more drawn to those that haven't been that "civilized"... St. Lucia has wonderful hot springs, too... too bad that one is out! How about Costa Rica (check the rainy season though)? Both people and environment are beautiful, very ecological, lovely place...
Of course I would be more than happy to meet you and Frances! SO be it, Ottawa, unless I am visiting home then, which is still up in the air. Well, we shall see... Let me know! This email has made me feel happy, though, I mean that you might INDEED sit on an airplane to come across the Atlantic... sounds so lovely! So do it! :-))))
Good night, very curious to hear your news! Maybe with your eyes all will be more exotic for me here...
sasa
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
TE Expert

Well this morning I went to work - I was in a meeting all morning with my phone switched off - Frances phoned six times - when I turned my phone back on there were six increasingly desperate messages to ring her - when I did Vancouver had already been booked - so this is where we are going!! Serendipity!

I like to explore modern urban environments too - I think one of the things I learnt from my times in tribal and mainstream urban and rural cultures in India was to look back and really appreciate the ethnology of the western 'civilised' veneer that much more - it's interesting to strip away certain aspects and see the similarities with these other cultures.

I'm interested in Vancouver for a few pre-occupations with what makes societies tick and it has such an interesting reputation as a city but also i feel I want to go somewhere with big landscapes - perhaps for a change - and chill out - I think I've found a few places to do that!

So we'll fly by you but won't be dropping in I'm afraid - we'll wave of course!! ,,,,,and say you don't do half bad in making your part of Canada look exotic.

best wishes Kev
Old 02-21-2006, 02:36 AM
TE Expert

Wonderful, Kev, well, we are going to be 3 hours away, i.e. time zone, that is a bit less than the present five! I am sure that you will have a great time! But you HAVE to wave down to me from the plane.... when you see the Rideau Canal, and a little yellow spot with an even smaller black spot hiking the snowmounds and slipping all over the place, that's I! I shall wave back!
:-)
How long will you stay?
PS LOVED your post today! In my favs!
PS2 please check that "Email Notification" checkbox so that I know if/when you write... otherwise I forget to go back sometimes! Thanks Kev!