To delpeoples: Durdle Door - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kabel 2014-05-12 20:27

Hi Ray, lovely rays of light streaming down on the valley. Not much snow then just as now. The Tioga Road is already open and Mammoth is opening the mountain to mountain bikers on the 24th. You haven't been using your Canon 5D lately ? :(
Have a great day,
Karen

Old 05-13-2014, 03:30 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To delpeoples: Durdle Door

Hi Lisa

OK: I suppose Durdle Door isn't too sexy a name! Apparently 'Durdle' is derived from the Old English 'thirl', meaning to pierce, bore or drill, which in turn derives from 'thyrel', meaning hole. Similar names in the region include Durlston Bay and Durlston Head further east, where a coastal stack suggests the existence of an earlier arch, and the Thurlestone, an arched rock in the neighbouring county of Devon to the west. The 'Door' part of the name probably maintains its modern meaning, referring to the arched shape of the rock; in the late nineteenth century there is reference to it being called the "Barn-door", and is described as being "sufficiently high for a good-sized sailing boat to pass through it." I didn't try it in my boat!

If you should be tempted back to the "Old Dart", you certainly should head for Dorset; and then it's only another step to Hampshire, and then you could come and stay with us! You'd be very welcome.

Yes: shame Adam Burton left the site. His work was indeed beautiful, and he's still in my Favourites. But he was obviously after bigger fish!

Best wishes

Will