Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2022-05-04 7:52

Hi Paul,
Great continuation of the reportage from these ruins, which I am not surprised to be the best in Belgium. The site is very large with so many new places which you show each time. The picture in the workshop was quite successful contrary to what you wrote, by the way.

Here a nice subtle light to lit the facade. The forest behind adds a nice background.

One more thing which I forgot to mention under your previous photos. Please check position number 47 in the ranking below:
https://www.travelcharacter.com/top-50-travel-destination-in-the-world/

M

Old 05-04-2022, 04:26 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: Bluebells in the charts

Thank you Mariusz,

Funny that the Hallerbos made it into this top50.

It's only been a few years since I've heard about this forest and suddenly it's getting so much interest.
On TV we got pictures of it with a crowd of people in the forest.
That's why I decided to just go to another forest close to home and I found the bluebells there too.

Such a top50 is fun to browse. But it is of course a personal composition.
I can hardly imagine that the Hallerbos is more beautiful or more interesting than so many other places in Belgium and abroad ...

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 05-04-2022, 07:04 PM
TE Expert

Ha ha
Yes, the rankings are very much affected by the people who assemble them. I bought a book in the past featuring national parks of Europe and I was pretty much surprised to see that almost half of the book was about British national parks. I don't mean to be rude but the national parks of UK as beautiful as they are would never make it to the top of the Europe's best parks. Just imagine places like the Alps or Iceland. Places like Lake District are in really many European countries. Nevertheless I realized it was written by an Engilsh person.
The same applies for example to the ranking of universities. There is one which is prepared by one of the British newspapers in which British universities make most top positions. There is however another one, more internationally recognized, prepared by China. To the top of this ranking reach only two of Britosh universities.
Yes so it is important who handles the data very much.
Even more so when the tastes are being discussed.
M
Old 05-04-2022, 09:18 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

The same criteria are not used everywhere for the university rankings.

For several rankings it is important that the professors of the universities or their scientific works are cited in leading journals/books.
In this way, universities that offer their educations in English, not necessarily British or American universities, get higher in the rankings than universities where all courses and doctorates are in, for example, Italian, German or French.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 05-05-2022, 04:16 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,
Yes you are completely right. This is something what many people are missing. The funniest is for me personally when exactly the universities from the country which made the ranking suddenly dominate the ranking while they don't do that well in international rankings.

I have indeed observed similar pattern during covid times. Especially journalists referred to data provided from scientists but they mixed and matched them in the end comparing apples with oranges. It was particularly frustrating because I could clearly see it while the "layman people" were sometimes arguing with me that they have heard something in the news from scientists.
I thought this will be the moment to realize that we need more educated people and also that media need people better educated in science, but it didn't happen. For some reason for sales people choose people who are good in lying, no matter whether they know what they are selling, and for journalists people choose people good in English, but not necessarily people who have something to say, etc
Too often I heard that a journalist asked a scientist a wrong question and compared it with answer from another scientist drawing really incorrect conclusions. In the end people instead of appreciating scientists more, started to distance themselves from them and they believed more the celebrities with no education at all instead. I think we are in a short path to idiocracy and now the war started to Russia indicates that we are really taking few steps back as a humanity.

M