Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Ricx 2010-02-04 6:04

Hi Paul, I have never tried to take an image of a city. However studying this one, especially with the low existing ambient light. I am intrigued with regards the f stop( f3.0) rating and ISO rating (ISO 1600) you used.. Could I ask if you would use these as a normal setting for this type of image or would you alter them to get a different perspective. Your assistance on this would be greatly appreciate it. Rich

Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Ricx: Vancouver sight

Hello Rich,
The problem when taking this picture in low light conditions was that I did not have a tripod. I could squeeze my camera more or less against a window holder but had to keep a reasonable shutter time to avoid a fuzzy picture, in this case 1/13s. With a tripod you can of course use much longer shutter times.
The only alternative I had was therefore to boost the ISO of my camera up to 1600ASA and use the highest lens opening possible, in this case F3.0.
(the values of 1/13s and F3.0 were chosen by the camera in automatic mode, not handset by me)
The use of higher ISO unfortunately means more noise, resulting in a grainy picture. My Nikon D300 has a good reputation for keeping noise at reasonable levels at higher ISO but 1600ASA is really the upper limit. You can already see the noise in the photo, but for this theme it does not disturb too much.

I hope this helps. Happy to provide more info if needed.
Kind regards,
Pauls