To PixelTerror: re - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PixelTerror 2005-07-19 4:53

Ciao Paolo,
I browsed again your portfolio and found this one pretty appealing to me as it is now decided, my summer holiday will be spent in Italia, I booked yesterday boat to Sardegna !
That's where I need insider's help, coming back we have 3 days to spend somewhere and hesitate between Venezia and Cinque Terre, both sites highly appealing of course, which one would you recomment and why ?
The nice sunset mood I feel from this view gives me an early glimpse of the dolce vita to some in september, colors and silhouettes look great, reminds me also I need to order plenty of GB of memory cards !!!
Have a nice day,
Jean-Yves

Old 07-19-2005, 12:14 PM
TE Expert

Default To PixelTerror: re

Sardinia??

we'll have the boat to Sardinia the 31 July! we'll went in the north-eastern coast, 5 km southern that the ipercrowded Costa Smeralda!
we have rent a villa with friends; with the babies that are all very young we'll did a very relaxed life. house-sea-house!
and you where you go in Sardegna?

aboout 5 Terre and Venezia:
if you will do the holidays in August....both place will be crowded, very expansive and full of tourists from all the world.
i went very often at 5 Terre, never between July and first weeks of semptember...normally in the first month of spring. also in April or May there are thousands of tourists!
and Venezia is crowded 365 day per year!
so...i don't know.
both place will be crowded and very expansive, so i think that you'll must decide what do you want.
Venezia is a city, with the sea as street, with no car...but is a city of 250.000 people. and the traffic is not formed by the cars, but the gigantic masses of tourists that walked in the small lanes and pedestrian bridges. Venezia is a dream, all is perfect, all is beautiful, all is very expansive (also a water glass!) and the food normally is very bad, specially if you go to eat in a touristic place (DON'T EAT PIZZA IN VENEZIA!!! NEVER).
you'll ask to some inhabitants of Venezia for the adress of a BACARO, that is the local pub, where you'll can eat fantastic fish food, soups and moules with very good prices. unfortunally today there are few bacari, and is not easy to find its!

the 5 Terre is a jewel of the nature, the 7 villages (the 5 Terre + Portovenere and also Lerici) along the coast and on the other side of the bay (Lerici) are all linked by ferries or train, linked with La Spezia, the main small city of the area.
all is fantastic in that place, all. the sea, the colors, the buildings, the fresh marine air, the restaurants...all.
the problems are the prices that are normally high, but in august are very, very, very high (and is not easy to booked today for the next month!) and the masses of people!
very few tourist sleep at the 5 villages and in portovenere, cause there are very few hotels and guesthouses. the most part (and i talk of some thousands of people!) came every early morning with the first trains and ferries.
there is only one beach, in Monterosso, that is very crowded. the other few square meters where you should can have relaxing time at the sun are crowded as at the stadium!

...btw...in my opinion are both fantastic place, and i know that for me are both very close, not more than 2 hours for Venezia, and 1.45 hours to the 5 Terre, and for you is a different job....but August i think is a bad time to visit both that place.

if you don't have problems for crowded place, for long cue, for expansive prices...ok.
the problems are only that ones. all the rest is fantastic.
in the other cases, if you don't like all that, i think that there are many other great places to visit in North Italy.
(Bergamo, the Lake of Como, Mantova and Cremona, Pavia and the Certosa, Verona, Ferrara, Ravenna....all that place are touristic but have a 2% of the tourists that the 2 in object!).

i hope that i was too bad about that place!!!
remember that i visited dozens of places during my summer holidays, when its were very crowded and exspansive!!!
all is relative!

thanks, ciao
Old 07-19-2005, 12:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To PixelTerror: re

error!!!!

i hope that i was'NT too bad about that place!!!
remember that i visited dozens of places during my summer holidays, when its were very crowded and exspansive!!!
all is relative!

thanks, ciao
Old 07-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Banned

Default Re: A PixelTerror: re

Grazie Paole per le informazioni,
I will arrive in Sta Teresa on 3. September, having no kids we prefer to go before or after the season, so june or september. We have arranged to spend a week in Castelsardo which seems a good base to explore in various directions such as Alghero, Stintino or Isola Rossa. The 2nd week we'll be in Cala Gonone and I hope I'll manage to convince my wife to venture a bit in the mountains to Orgosolo as a change to the numerous creeks.
After that we'll travel back to the continent (Livorno) and settle 12 kms off Firenze for another week, with visits of Firenze, Siena and the Chianti on the program.
Then going back home we have about 3 days to spend in one or the other place, so the challenge is to find a lodging that's well situated, not too expensive and that will not be afraid of our two terrible dogs ;-)
Ciao, Jean-Yves
Old 07-19-2005, 01:01 PM
TE Expert

ok, September is much more better to visit both the 2 places! less people aorund!

i went the first 14 years of my life in holidays in Sardinia, with my parents.
i know very well all the north, the east and the southern coast.
i never visited the western side!
but i know well Cala Gonone!
is a fantastic place.
some dozens of km eastern of Cala Gonone, in the Gennargentu Mountains there is the Su Cologone small village.
there is a fantastic nature, good trekkings, a wonderful mineral water spring and a FANTASTIC restaurant with hotel!

P.S.
Also us will have the ferry from Livorno. but to Olbia.

ciao.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

We will land in Sta Teresa because we pass through Corsica, so we'll take the ferry from Bonifacio to Sta Teresa, our return to the continent will be Olbia-Livorno as well.
I'm looking forward to this trip very much as both places look very promising and appealing.
Ciao, JY