Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Darren 2004-05-28 11:23

Hi Eric. This is a very nice photo. Excellent composition and although a common scene, this is a very difficult subject for many to photograph. You have done very well here I think.

Two thoughts here, both kind of technical.

First, I see you shot this at f/1.8. I know you love the soft bokeh from shooting open when at all possible, but as this shot has details in the background which are important to the context, I think f/4 or even narrower would have worked just as well, and possibly given you a sharper photo.

Second, you have used a polarizing filter, yet your shutter speed is very high, suggesting higher ISO. Personally, I almost never use a polarizer, unless shooting flowers/foliage/sky. I don't really think a polarizer would help a shot like this, but it does rob you of shutter speed, or necessitate higher ISOs. My feeling is that the polarizer should stay in the bag unless the situation specifically calls for it.

Having said all of this, these are not really faults in the photo in any way, shape or form, just my thoughts on general usage.

This is a very good photo Eric.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:31 PM
TE Expert

Default To Darren: aperture tips

You being a very difficult-to-please tech wizz in the field of photography, this comment from you, darren, is balm to my ears;-)) i think you are right.. I have indeed learnt from this trip and shooting experience that f1.8 is a bit difficult and hazardous to use.. learning the hard way, it's called, and i hope for the better... your advice on use of apertures is happily accepted, and i will think of it for my future shots.. thank you! there is no need to overdo it, but i did not quite realize that before...;-)

Rinie told me about the new scavenger hunt ready to start in june.. she pulled my leg saying that i had posted the first pic of a priest beforehand...

BTW did you see the gelati pic i posted yesterday. i'd love to have your comments on this one.. for i had some troubles shooting this inside a gelateria, with reflections of the glass panel...
have a nice week end

Eric
Old 05-28-2004, 07:44 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Darren: aperture tips

Talking about wide apertures, have you seen this one, guys?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:07 PM
TE Senior Member

I hadn't seen that one Luko, thanks for pointing it out. Really a great shot. Actually, going back to that thread of a few days ago, I have to side with Maciek a little on that one. I do believe shallow DOF can make it difficult to capture exactly what you want in focus, especially when you are shooting from really close, which was more or less what the discussion was over. But, to side with you Luko, when done right, under the right circumstances, the effect can be just fantastic, as you have pointed out here. Can you just imagine the same shot taken with the Leica priced Canon 85mm/f1.2 at 1.2? boggles the mind.

Have a good weekend Eric and Luko.

Darren
Old 05-29-2004, 03:34 PM
TE Expert

thank you guys.. I feel flattered that my portrait has brought up such a discussion and thanks to Luko for pointing out his shot from ian...;-) As you said over dinner the other day in paris, Luko,too many posts everyday to not miss some extraordinary ones.. some photographers are scanned on a daily basis, like you two or manny or maciek and a few others but too many i simply cannot check on on a daily basis.. I have to rely on pure chance to make it possible to discover some stunning shots from time to time or thanks to you guys pointing out a shot to be seen.. let's continue in that vein, shall we?...

have a nice week end

Eric