Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-31-2003, 03:42 AM
TE Newbie

Default How to take better pictures of sunset?

Anyone know of any good angle or the way to take picture?
Old 11-01-2003, 08:11 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: How to take better pictures of sunset?

There are often a number of issues to address;

1. Lens flare

If you are pointing the camera at the sun there's a good chance of lens flare. This all depends on the lens though, as some lenses are more susceptible than others. You can avoid flare by using a lens hood in some cases, or if you're lucky the flare will be in a darker area of the shot and so pretty much unnoticeable, as in <A HREF="http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/photo8311.htm">this one</a>.

2. Exposure control

Unless you wait until after the sun has set, there will normally be a large difference in brightness above and below the horizon. One way to fix this is by using a neutral density filter to darken the area above the horizon (where the sun is) and hence help the camera make a more balanced exposure.

Another alternative is to take two exposures (one for the brighter area and one for the darker area) and combine them later, giving you correct exposure for the whole shot. This can be achieved by taking two photos with different exposure settings, or by using the camera's RAW mode and varying exposure in post-processing (which is my preference).

[more to follow]
Old 11-01-2003, 08:11 PM
TE Junior Member

3. Foreground interest

Normally, the sun by istelf isn't actually all that interesting (unless you are interested in a big yellow blob). It's always a good idea (if you can) to choose a subject to be backlit (or sidelit) by the sun as it sets. You'll achieve the best colors and textures of the day at sunset.

4. Composition

Just use your normal approach to composition. Don't, for example, put the sun right in the center of the frame as this will actually increase the chance of lens flare.

5. Protect your eyes

Don't spend a long time composing the shot if you can help it. On a camera without a TTL viewfinder you'll effectively be looking at the sun through a magnifying glass, which can cause permanent eye damage. It's not so bad with an SLR-type camera as you are looking at a reflection off the camera's mirror.

Hope this helps.

Ron.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:15 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks Ron....your response demonstrates the wealth of knowledge that more experienced members of TE are willing to share for the benefit of photograghers seeking to improve their skills. Many thanks for taking the time to offer your input.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:37 AM
TE Junior Member

You're very welcome. I, as others, have only come to these conclusions through considerable trial and error. I hope I was able to avoid giving a recipe for sunset photos - there is a wealth of creativity on this site and I wouldn't want to impose my own artistic views if I can avoid it.

Your response is much appreciated, and I hope my original post helps some members out.

Cheers,

Ron.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:12 AM
TE Newbie

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!