Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Royaldevon 2007-09-22 16:04

Hello Bev,

I think the subject is excellent and these family groups always make interesting photographs! There is a lot going on here which can be difficult for the eye to cope with when any of them could be the main subject.

I hope you don't mind but I have done you a couple of little w/s. See what you think.

Best wishes,
Bev :-)

ps Thank you for your kind crit on 'Strange light ...'

Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 AM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: workshops

Thanks for taking the time to do the workshops for me. I am happy for members to do workshops as it is always interesting to see how others would PP a picture.The crop showing just three people is good but I prefer to keep the whole image. Most of my fascination for Appleby is the people. Look at the woman on the left for example. She is wearing stiletto heels. I don't know about you but that would be the last thing i would thnk of wearing to a family picnic on a hot day. But many of the women were tottering down from Fair Hill where the caravans and cars are parked in high heeled shoes. Dressing up for many of the women is part of the holiday.I have been told that some also have their clotes especially made for the event. And the two weeks of the horse fair is used as an annual holday for the Romany and travelling people. Actually John (Tyro) mentioned Breaughal when he critqued one of my Appleby pictures and I concurred. He painted scenes of ordinary people and their high days, The Wedding for example. And I have tried to capture some of that feeling of carefreeness. Their is also a strong element of "The Lords of Misrule" at the fair too. When the young men get away with breaking the usual rules by riding bare back at speed down the main high street and hitching illict lifts on the back of vans and lorries travelling down the road.
I Like your tweaking of lightness/contrast ect but I also like my darker image as it has more the feel of an old painting. However, even though I like my picture it obviously does not attract other photographers and essentially is not a good photgraph. But I will keep it on site as a FYI pic.
thanks again
Bev
Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Royaldevon: workshops

Hello Bev,

Thank you for all this interesting information.

Photographs are very subjective and I always feel as if I am straying into private territory when I do a w/s. I'm glad you are not offended by my intrusion and I understand exactly why you wish to keep your shot intact.

Best wishes,
Bev :-)
Old 09-23-2007, 05:52 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Royaldevon: workshops

Thanks again Bev,
we all have the option to switch off the workshop option and I keep mine on. This site is a learning centre, so to speak and workshops part of that. I appreciate the time taken and always learn from them. I have only done one workshop on someone else's picture myself and that was at Tyro's suggestion and one of his pictures. Like you I feel a little intrusive ..as if I dare have the temerity to improve on another photographer's picture, so I know how you feel. As far as your workshop went, I decided rather than to just say that I liked it and thanks i would try and express my feelings. I think its good to be honest on site, I feel that especially with members I'd like to keep a good relationship going with. Now I am beginning to go on a bit and will shut up for now!
:)