Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Furachan 2007-09-26 21:44

Nice view of Shwedagon from the side, Elaine - unusual to see it taken this advanced in the day (but not quite night).
We can only pray, my friend. The monk who died yesterday with a fractured skull is bad news indeed, but believe it or not, the junta is relatively restrained when compared to pre-internet days. Info and cell phone pics as well as moving film are leaking out of everywhere. THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING this time and the whole world cares. They will have to compromise to some extent.
Extraordinary defiance by the monks whom we love so much on TE.
Damn!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Furachan: Saddened

Good morning Francis, I wake this morning to find night raids have taken place overnight in several monasteries. I am afraid that even with the whole world watching this time, a bllodbath will not be averted. I hope I am wrong, bu I certainly do not have the same feeling of optimism that I had a few days ago while watching the brave monks and civilians march through the streets.
I cant help thinking about my last morning spent at the pagoda, how reverend, religious and enchanted it felt to be there surrounded by devotees and now I watch scenes of soldiers dragging away screaming....................................
Despair!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:46 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Furachan: Saddened

Hi Elaine again,

I am afraid that the junta has learnt his lesson, restraint and covert police operations will not mobilize outside Myanmar, or inside, as would massacres, and will do the job as well. it would take up to a million people encircling soldiers and disarming them peacefully, proclaiming Yangoon open city to start effecting a change. I would certainly not want to see people run into their death out of despair. becasue that is what will happen if they are only the numbers we hear about on TV. I also think there is more broken spirit in Mynamar than courage. Only good thing, I am no expert, only read and observe a lot, so we will see.
H
Old 09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
TE Expert

I fear we're heading for the worst kind of "containment" - monks under guard, a fearful population crawling back to their homes. They have 400,00o brutal soldiers in that bloody country, Elaine! What the hell do they need that many for, eh? Well... to keep their own people down, period. Two things could bring about change: intense pressure from China or an invasion by a combined UN force from the air bombing those generals outta their beds - I cannot see anything else that would do it. You KNOW it's true - yo've been there. Gentle people, intelligent, long suffering...and abused.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
TE Expert

they said 70 000 people in the street on TV. It's over! :-(

On doit trop d' argent aux chinois pour leur chatouiller les pieds, Francis. These guys hosting the Olympics, what a f....g joke!

H
Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
TE Expert

No.1 America, Britain and the rest of the "civilized" world should boycott the Peking Olympics on the back of China's suport for these thugs. That will teach them.
No.2 Boycott ALL Chinese goods, that's all the bad food that's osoning our cats and all the lead containing toys, everything. RIN them economically.
No.3 Turn to India and do the same - they are supplying the regime with tons of weapons.
Both those countires could stop this horror in two minutes...

And then the's Russia.

20 years ago poor, naive, dreadfuly out of touch Aung San Suu Kyi said "We will be free. It may take a few more days. Perhaps a few more weeks, but we shall be free." How WRONG can you get???
There is genocide going on daily against Karen and other groups inside Burma. Daily. We are looking at Kossovo on a much bigger scale and we do nothing. Silly snctions only end up satisfying US egos - they actually punish the people of Burma.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 AM
TE Expert

Silly snctions only end up satisfying US egos - they actually punish the people of Burma.
----------------------------

pas d' acoord Francis. je preferre que mon pays interdise a toute entreprise de faire du business avec un tel pays, (quand tu y seras, demande aux brimans ce qu' ils pensent, et ne les traite pas de naifs si ils ne repondent pas ce que tu aimerais entendre) que dire que c' est OK pour TOTAL de s' implanter. Si tu crois que toutes ces multi-nationales et business etrangers "unpunish", profitent aux birmans, encore une fois, demande autour de toi en Decembre. Les gens qui en porfitent ne sont pas dans la rue en ce moment.

H