Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great phwall 2008-10-28 16:53

Hi Jose,
Very beautiful capture, I've been debating with myself as to wether I'd buy the 10-20 Sigma, this shot clinches it for me. The image is so sharp, the detail on the walls of the buildings is quite amazing. I like the POV and especially the composition. You have included lots of interesting detail to make exploring the shot a delight.
I see what you mean about the soft haze on the cathedral, the glow I used came from post but I suspect this one is atmospheric, could be the heat coming from the bricks at the end of a hot day. The haze does seem to be more pronounced on the tower in the far distance.
Have you corrected any of the barrel distortion in post???
Lovely capture, my compliments.
Regards
Peter

Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 PM
TE Expert

Default To phwall: Haze; Sigma 10-20

Hi Peter,

I agree with you that the atmosphere and the backlit contributed to the diminished sharpness on the BG, but I think that there is also a slight focus problem. The 10-20 Sigma lens look great to someone like me who knows very little about that matter, but I think that my Olympus body doesn't go along with them perfectly, as sometimes the auto-focus seems to fail. I confess I didn't do much research on that subject because it doesn't bother me much - with the kind of photos I do, as long as the focus ring is near infinite, I hardly have focus problems using manual focus. The problem is that sometimes I forget that the autofocus is off and I forgot to check the focus ring. Apart from a few irrelevant tests, I hadn't used the lens until the day before I shot this one and so I messed up a few times.

If I believe what I have read, the 14-45mm lenses that came with my Olympus are pretty good, so I feared that I would notice some differences for worse in the Sigma ones, but actually the only difference I notice is that the barrel distortion is practically non existent in Sigma even at 10mmm, while Olympus presents produces some at 14mm and more. In this one I used 16mm and I saw no reason to correct any barrel distortion. As a matter of fact, I think that I have never used any of such correction in any of the shots done with Sigma.

Regards, José.