Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great graffer 2009-08-23 2:01

Hello Bev,

The first thing that strikes me here is the shadow on the sand. Although the beam of the net is at quite an angle on the fisherman's shoulders, the shadow makes it look as if he is carrying it horizontally.

I also like the way that the line of footprints leads exactly from the bottom left corner of the picture, making a diagonal towards the man.

That lump of land on the horizon, although quite small, provides essential balance to the composition.

The net itself, the main element of the picture, is neatly placed so that the horizon cuts through the junction of the beam and the handle. This adds great strength to the composition.

Lovely soft colours of sea and mud.

Although John suggests using a polariser – and I am a great enthusiast for them - I think in this case the paleness of the sky is just right for the subject.

Kind regards,

Peter.

PS: I am looking forward to seeing some pictures of the fisherman's catch!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 PM
TE Expert

Default To graffer: fisherman's catch

Hello Peter,
thanks once again for your well considered critique.I know when I like one of my shots but you tell me why! As for the catch, it has been a poor season this year due to the rain. The river swells allowing the salmon to swim upstream. Although the Annan haaf netters don't fish at the river mouth but in the Solway nonetheless lots of "fresh" as the men call the rain water coming down the river gives the salmon options they would not otherwise have.Today it is raining really heavily and the river is muddy brown, so the salmon will be yet again away up the river.We've plenty of trout in the freezer though.
Bev