Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great avene 2010-01-07 8:59

hi Reed,

I like this photo a lot, you have done a great job in capturing the bright white walls of the room without overexposing the details of the textures. it's a great background for the kids and their colourful clothes and, as Kath says, their expressions and postures. great shot, my compliments.

interesting note. we're going to Guatemala next Saturday, and I know that it is customary for the locals to ask for a "gift", if you want to take their photos. I know I want to have as many portraits as possible (I love the photos my better half brought back from his trip to Guatemala in 2008), si I've been thinking of getting a bag of small toys for the kids, instead of giving them money. we'll see how it works out :)

best,
Kristine

Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To avene: Thanks Kristine -

For checking out my post. I'm truly glad you liked it! The Nikon did a great job with the exposure, as usual, but I have learned to dial it back a bit - just in case.

It will be interesting to see how the toys work for the kids in Guatamala. Probably well - these kids had the most rudimentary of toys - stones, empty plastic pop bottles, a tire.

We were told not to give any of the kids money. even when buying stuff from them - give the money to the mother and chances were it would be put to use for the family - after she buys a liter of Coca-Cola. The kids will immediately buy chips, coke and then play video games, wasting the money and their health. Rodrigo said if we really felt like helping a family out we could buy a package of groceries from a store for about $8 that would feed the whole family for a week. My wife bought one and carried it for a long time before she found someone she really wanted to have it - a little girl who was carrying around her much smaller brother. It was kind of interesting to see how she set her priorities when she wanted to bring them both back to her mother, but could not carry both. She figured it out, though.

I'll bet you have a tremendous time in Guatamala, no matter what!

Have a nice evening,
Reed