Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great KristinsCamera 2013-07-25 21:38

what a beautiful shot, russ --
if someone could photograph a memory, it would look like this :)

absolutely lovely, well done.

kristin

Old 07-26-2013, 04:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Smile To KristinsCamera: You are too kind...

I've always liked this image, and the years that have passed since this day have only made the memory more dear. Thank you for recognizing this as more emotional than representational.

I hope the explanatory note was clear -- but allow me to elucidate? At age 20, I left school for a year; worked for 8 months then traveled with a friend and a friend of his from the east coast for 3 months. We stayed in western Europe (with a week in Morocco, as you have seen), but it was a Great Adventure for a kid from Kansas. I bought my first 35mm camera right before that trip and shot prints and slides.

Two years after returning, I bought a NovoFlex (I can quote the brand name because it is sitting on my desk right now!) extension bellows and toyed with some macro photography. This image is a macro close-up of a matte-finish print. The blurry edges result from the extremely shallow depth of field, as the print had curled or bowed a bit in the stack (remember how they would do?).

Final note -- if you're a reader and have missed "American Gods," pick it up. Author Neil Gaiman grew up in Kinsale -- the little port town where this bicycle ride began.

Best regards,

Russ
Austin, Texas