Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2015-09-17 1:45

Hello Will,

I love these wonderful black and white "conversation" cameos which you manage to capture so superbly well in cafés, hotels and bars, often in pretty poor light but always with superb detail and clarity and remarkable timing.

And this one is no exception: its technical quality is superb and so the viewer can concentrate on the "connection" between the two characters and spend time imagining just what the subject and tone of their conversation might be.

I'm interested and amazed that you manage to take these pictures with your big and bulky 5D. My 5D sounds almost like a rifle shot when I press the trigger and a big camera does attract the attention of people in a place like this.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:14 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To tyro: Canon 5D

Hello John

You're quite right of course about the size and noise of the old Canon. I tend to pretend I'm fiddling with it if I'm noticed at all, until my "victims" look away again. Then I focus away from them, on something which is roughly equidistant, keep one eye on what they're doing, and when I judge the time is right, swivel and shoot. They may hear the shutter release, but I've either already turned away, or they know what's happened, and I give a cheery wave. It's too late by then of course: the shot's in the bag! You only get one chance, so I get a fair few duds. But I've just bought a little Panasonic Lumix TZ70, so we'll wait and see if that makes any difference. I wonder if I'll start to use it in preference to the Canon: walking around with it all day will certainly be easier!

Will
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
TE Expert

Default Panaasonic TZ70.....

Hello Will,

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with your new little Panasonic and whether you find it takes reasonably good pictures in low light. I don't know much about that particular camera but I think it does have a viewfinder (an electronic one, I guess) and I think it can also shoot in RAW. Did you (like me) do quite a bit of research before you finally "plumped" for that model?

Yes, please do let me know how you get on and what you think of the camera too! I'll be very interested.

Best Wishes,

John.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:00 PM
TE Senior Member

You're right on all counts: electronic viewfinder, RAW capability (both deal-breakers for me), and quite a lot of research too. At that sort of price, it seemed to be top of the pile. I was tempted by the Sony A7 II, but at about x6 the price of the Lumix, it wasn't at the races. I don't yet want a replacement for the Canon, just a little alternative.

Will

P.S. Are you too suffering from the latest round of cock-ups on TE? I can't post, can't critique, and my "score"(!) hasn't been updated for a couple of days. Maybe we should all emigrate to a site that does what it says on the tin...

Last edited by willperrett; 09-17-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM
TE Expert

Default A Pocketable Compact....

Hello Will,

It sounds as though your little Panasonic TZ70 fits the bill with its viewfinder (a sine qua non in my opinion too) and its RAW recording ability. I shall certainly be interested to hear how you get on with it.

I still occasionally borrow Yvonne's Canon G10 - my last picture here was taken on that just last week - it is beautifully built, it has a viewfinder (a not very good one) and it records RAW but its low light capabilities are dismal. Unfortunately Canon "upped" the pixel count from 10 to 14.2 megapixels when they brought out the G10 and that was clearly a step too far - for the G11 and subsequent models they dropped back to a more sensible 10 Mp with consequent improvement in high ISO quality.

Yes, please let me know how you get on with the TZ70!

Best Wishes,

John.

P.S. Yes, the TE website never fails to surprise - and disappoint. Jolly frustrating too. Trouble is that I actually like TE a lot - I love the camaraderie, I love the in-depth critiques and comments which (some) members contribute and I find the discussions and friendliness so addictive. Otherwise I would have jacked in TE ages ago. I've some pictures on Flickr and Panoramio but the contributors to either of those sites do not write any sort of critique other than "Nice shot" or similarly inane and terse remarks.

I suppose that the real problem lies in the fact that Internet Brands are in the business of making money and are not striving to cater to the whims of a bunch of amateur photographers, so filling their web pages with pop-up advertisements for anything from airlines to feminine hygiene is to them a lot more important than making sure that the screen resolution on Mr. Perrett's last monochrome masterpiece is spot on.

Yes, it's bloody frustrating and I'm not surprised that so many people do seem to be leaving - and those who are left seem to becoming less enthusiastic by the day. I only hope things do improve because I really love TE and have made a few good friends (like yourself) through it too.