Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2018-10-26 7:36

Hello Chris,
Well, you got yourself Algeria on your map without even being close to setting foot there... Perhaps I should post a hazy view of Brazzaville from a balcony in Kinshasa...
Apart from that it's a nice photo ot the sun rising over the desert. The colours and haze are very nice.
Regards,
Gert

Old 10-26-2018, 04:30 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Not so far

Hi Gert

I was told by locals that the Algerian border was about 5 km away. You can see how close it is on this map.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/E...26!2d28.033886

That black line meandering all over the place is the border. Camel treks go up the eastern side of the Erg Chebbi dunes on the right of the dunes, rather than try to plough right over the top of them, and they get pretty close to the Algerian border at the overnight Berber camp. Certainly closer than the 36 km by road between Brazzaville & Kinshasha!

Unfortunately the entire border between Morocco and Algeria has been tightly closed since 1994 after Algerian secret service personnel bombed the Hotel Asni in Marrakesh. And an Al Qaeda bombing at the Argana Cafe in Marrakesh in 2011 that killed 20 hasn't helped. Relations are still very frosty. So I could not have walked across legally, even if I had wanted to. But frankly, I would rather go back to Jordan than ever set foot in Algeria. Or even return to Sweden! Plenty of places like Gothenburg that I never got to see in my whistle-stop tour. And the Swedes are friendlier! Btw, I flew non stop from Casablanca to Istanbul right over the top of Algeria from 10,000 metres, but had no window seat. :-(

Cheers!

Last edited by ChrisJ; 10-27-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: edit