Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2019-11-02 3:39

Hello Mariusz,
Indeed, a view that you can only have from a boat on the canal.
An original presentation of the Jan Van Eyck Square and an excellent sharp capture taken on that boat.
The name of the building with the tower is the ‘Poortersloge’.
I couldn’t find information in English on internet. So this is a translation from parts of different websites in Flemish.
The original late Gothic corner building was erected between 1395 and 1417.
It was intended to be the meeting place of the commercial elite of Bruges.
From the building this elite has a view of the canal and the sea-going vessels that entered Bruges and they speculated about the success or failure of the importers.
Originally this was the seat of the guild of the Poorters of Bruges (A Poorter is the historic name in the Netherlands for a citizen who had acquired the right to live within the city gates with city rights.). Also the chivalrous jousting association 'The White Bear' met in this building.
An image (sculpture?) of the Bear of Bruges, with the coat of arms of this association, would still be found there somewhere.
Best regards, Paul

Old 11-02-2019, 12:46 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: info

Thank you so much Paul.
One of my main questions there was whether it was a church at certain point or not but you have answered this question in your comment.
As you see many people assumed in their comments, like myself, that this type of tower must have belonged to a church.
Thank you for taking extra time to find the info and translate it for us here.
Kind regards,
Mariusz