Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jean113 2020-11-15 7:22

Hello Mariusz, you did really well to achieve the composition that you did, perfect symmetry as far as I can see.
It's understandable that there would be some scaffolding on the site; I guess the preservation goes on and on.
Thought provoking note. If the Elgin Marbles were returned then many, many more works would or should be returned/exchanged from countries all over the world. Where would it end?

Kind regards, Jean.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:55 PM
TE Expert

Default To jean113: right thing to do

Hi Jean,
Yes I wrote it in the answer to another discussion. I know this would cause a dangerous precedent case for institutions like British Museum. I think however that it is great to display artifacts from all over the world but not if a country wishes for them to be returned. It is an independent country now.
It is also something else to ask for all Greek vases to be returned because this would be not realistic, but it is something else when we talk about parts of the buildings which were removed without this nation permission, effectively stolen. Buildings which are currently the most valuable buildings in the country. This is something really particular.
We sort of guess when visiting some museums that a lot of items were stolen but there are some items which sort of define a nation's identity.
You were lucky that Britain is an isolated island but imagine the most precious fragments of the Westminster Abbey being stolen during WWII and displayed now in Berlin Museum. That would be just wrong.
Kind regards,
Mariusz