Photographer's Note

One of several pictures taken at Wat Na Phra Men in Ayutthaya

The name of this temple means the temple in front of the royal pyre, sometimes called Wat Na Phra Meru is situated off Ayutthaya City Island, opposite the formal Grand Palace in the northern area in Tha Wasukri district.

The temple was constructed in the 1500s during the reign of King Ramathibodi. It also has been used as a Royal cremation area.

This temple is still considerably in its original condition being one of the few temples not to have been destroyed by the Burmese in the sacking of .Ayutthaya in 1760. In fact, the temple was used by the Burmese as a camp and gun emplacement during the attackon the city.

Wat Na Phra Men was repaired in 1835 to1838 during the reign of Rama III of Bangkok’s Chakry dynasty.

(Source: History of Ayutthaya web site). Click here for further information.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1854
Points: 52
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29874] (130967)
View More Pictures