Photographer's Note

This is the third in a short series of pictures of the Château of Javarzay, very close to the town of Chef-Boutonne in Deux-Sèvres.

The château was built in 1514 by the Rochechouart family on the vestiges of an old castle. At that time there were twelve turrets along its enclosing wall. All that remains today today is the magnificent entrance building and one tower.

Javarzay is considered to be one of the most beautiful witnesses of Renaissance architecture in Deux-Sèvres: a superb gatehouse flanked with four turrets with corbelling, and conical slate roofs.

Property of the commune since 1982, the château now houses the Hat Museum where are exhibited more than 400 bonnets and caps.

The château is surrounded by a delightful park open to the public as well as a lake which is available for fishing.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3300
Points: 66
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29874] (130967)
View More Pictures