Photographer's Note

One of the city gateways in Regensburg; it gives access to the 12th-century stone bridge over the river Danube linking the Old Town to Stadtamhof. For more than 800 years, until the 1930s, it was the city's only bridge across the river. It is a masterwork of medieval construction and an emblem of the city.

However, the bridge has been seriously damaged by heavy traffic in recent decades and by water and salt damage from poor drainage and lack of sealing of the masonry. For over a decade, the bridge was closed to private vehicles, and beginning in 2005 it was remotely monitored 24 hours a day from Nuremberg for signs of impending collapse. On the evening of 1 August 2008 it was also closed to buses and taxis and became a pedestrian and bicycle bridge. This was because of a report that the balustrades would be insufficient to stop a bus.

The bridge has been under restoration since 2010; completion was originally expected in 2014 but is now expected in 2017 at the earliest. Temporary bridges are being used to enable the over 120,000 annual users of the bridge to bypass the section being rebuilt. The restoration work means that no suitable photographs can be made of the original bridge structure.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1130
Points: 48
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 10627 W: 63 N: 29872] (130967)
View More Pictures