Photos

Photographer's Note

The Parthenon is the crowning of the Acropolis and the masterpiece of Greek art, even now throbbing with vitality. In the sixth century BCE on the same site was a sanctuary dedicated to Athena Parthenos, which was named Hekatómpedon with a length of 100 feet penthouses, as its name, to which belong the great reliefs of tufa from the pediments, now preserved in the Acropolis Museum.

Later, it was decided to build a new temple, which was destroyed during the Persian invasion of 480 BC without being able to be completed. Pericles, just get the government in Athens has ordered its reconstruction and with the collaboration of Phidias, personally supervised the work. The original project was Ictinus and was carried out by Callicrates, the works took place during the years 447 to 432 BC, although in 438 BC on the occasion of the Great Panathenaic, was installed in the cella the statue of the goddess Parthenos, the work of Phidias.

The Parthenon was preserved without major modifications for seventeen centuries, Christians used it as a church, mosque and the Turks and later as a store of gunpowder. Finally blew the September 26, 1687, following the artillery attack Morosini, who besieged the city from Filoppapou.

Decorative elements that were spared destruction, a small part was taken in 1787 to France and many sculptural elements were taken to London by Lord Elgin between the years 1801-1803. In 1930, initiated by the Greek architect Balanos, was raised and partially rebuilt the colonnade on the north side and along these eighty years were carried out major restoration work.


----------------------------------------------------


El Partenón es la coronación de la Acropolis y la obra maestra del arte griego, aun hoy palpitante de vitalidad. En el siglo VI a.C. hubo en el mismo emplazamiento un santuario, dedicado a Atenea Parthenos, que recibia el nombre de Hekatómpedon con una longitud de 100 pies áticos, como indica su nombre, al que pertenecen los grandes bajorrelieves de tufo de los frontones, en la actualidad conservados en el Museo de la Acrópolis.

Posteriormente, se decidió la construcción de un nuevo templo, que fue destruido durante la invasión persa del 480 a.C. sin que pudiera verse terminado. Pericles, nada más obtener el gobierno de Atenas, ordenó su reconstrucción y con la colaboración de Fidias, supervisó personalmente los trabajos. El proyecto era original de Ictino y fue llevado a cabo por Calícrates; las obras tuvieron lugar durante los años 447 al 432 a.C., aunque ya en el 438 a.C. con ocasión de las Grandes Panateneas, fue instalada en la cella la estatua de la diosa Parthenos, obra de Fidias.

El Partenón se conservó, sin modificaciones importantes durante diecisiete siglos, los cristianos lo utilizaron como iglesia, los turcos como mezquita y más tarde como depósito de pólvora. Finalmente saltó por los aires el 26 de septiembre de 1687, a consecuencia del ataque de la artillería de Morosini, que desde Filoppapou asediaba la ciudad.

De los elementos decorativos que se libraron de la destrucción, una pequeña parte fue llevada en 1787 a Francia y muchos elementos escultóricos fueron trasladados a Londres por lord Elgin entre los años 1801-1803. En 1930, por iniciativa del arquitecto griego Balanos, fue levantada y reconstruida parcialmente la columnata del lado norte y a lo largo de estos ochenta años se llevaron a cabo grandes trabajos de restauración.

Photo Information
Viewed: 3477
Points: 50
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8217 W: 5 N: 14775] (65726)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH