Photographer's Note

This is a little chapel on top of one of Domokos hills.
One of things that the town is known for, is that there are many chapels into and around it. Unfortunately I do not recall the Saint's name that it is dedicated to.

"Domokos is a town of prefecture Fthiotida. According to the inventory 2001 the population is 1.556 residents. It is capital of homonym province and his seat of also homonym municipality which includes 16 municipal apartments. Domokos is the centre of commercial life of province. There are a lot of public services (county court, police, post, Inland Revenue Mr a.), while also banks and a crowd of shops of all nature that covers the needs of residents and travellers. It abstains from Lamia is roughly 30 kilometres away and Farsala 25km away.

It took yhe name from the ancient city [Thaymako] that was in the same place. According to the prevailing etymology does the name emanate from the greek word "thaymasia" (wonderful) because of the wonderful view that the place had to the Thessalian plain . At the middle ages it presented prosperity and it was one from the cities that belonged in the woman of emperor Alexioy[G]΄, empress Delight. After the occupation of Byzantium, from Franκs, resulted to its distribution, and [Domokos] devolved to the power of king of Thessalonica [Bonifatioy]. In 1393 [Domokos] was occupied by the Ottoman empire it was released in 1881 but reoccupied in 1897 after intense battle, which became under the following conditions: The Greek army that had reprocess from the Thessalian borders installed itself defensively in the plateau of [Domokoy].The Turkish however army passed from there after a lot of days with a view to surround the Greek army, thing which achieved. Greeks defended oneself with force but they were exhausted with result, the havoc."

Ο Δομοκός είναι κωμόπολη του νομού Φθιώτιδας. Σύμφωνα με την απογραφή του 2001 ο πληθυσμός του είναι 1.556 κάτοικοι. Είναι πρωτεύουσα της ομώνυμης επαρχίας και έδρα του επίσης ομώνυμου δήμου ο οποίος περιλαμβάνει 16 δημοτικά διαμερίσματα.

Ο Δομοκός είναι το κέντρο της εμπορικής ζωής της επαρχίας. Υπάρχουν πολλές δημόσιες υπηρεσίες (ειρηνοδικείο, αστυνομία, ταχυδρομείο, εφορία κ.α.), καθώς επίσης τράπεζες και ένα πλήθος καταστημάτων πάσης φύσεως που καλύπτουν τις ανάγκες των κατοίκων και των διερχομένων. Απέχει από τη Λαμία περίπου 30 χιλιόμετρα και 25 από τα Φάρσαλα.

Πήρε το όνομα της από την αρχαία πόλη Θαυμακό που ήταν στην ίδια θέση. Σύμφωνα με την επικρατέστερη ετυμολογία το όνομα προέρχεται από την "θαυμάσια" θέα που είχε η θέση προς τον θεσσαλικό κάμπο που απλωνόταν εμπρός της. Κατά τον μεσαίωνα παρουσίασε μεγάλη ακμή και ηταν μια από τις πόλεις που ανήκαν στη γυναίκα του αυτοκράτορα Αλέξιου Γ΄, αυτοκράτειρα Ευφροσύνη. Μετά την κατάληψη του Βυζάντιου από τους Φράγκους και τη διανομή του , ο Δομοκός περιήλθε στην εξουσία του βασιλιά της Θεσσαλονίκης Βονιφατίου. Το 1393 ο Δομοκός καταλήφθηκε από τους Τούρκους ελευθερώθηκε το 1881 αλλά τον ξαναπήραν το 1897 ύστερα από σφοδρή μάχη, η οποία έγινε κάτω από τις εξής συνθήκες:Ο Ελληνικός στρατός που είχε υποχώρηση από τα θεσσαλικά σύνορα εγκαταστάθηκε αμυντικά στο οροπέδιο του Δομοκού. Ο Τούρκικος όμως στρατός πέρασε από εκεί ύστερα από πολλές μέρες με σκοπό να κυκλώσει τον Ελληνικό στρατό, πράγμα το οποίο πέτυχε. Οι Έλληνες αμύνονταν με δύναμη αλλά άρχισαν να εξαντλούνται με αποτέλεσμα οι Τούρκοι να τους απωθούν απο τις διαβάσεις του όρους Κασιδιάρης και στο τέλος τούς καταδίωξαν σκορπίζοντας τον όλεθρο".

vasilpro, Cretense trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 1500
Points: 20
  • None
Additional Photos by Constantinos Argyropoulos (argycon) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 339 W: 3 N: 385] (2769)
View More Pictures