Photographer's Note

Is is located 3km south of Fodele (see map), in a wooded area of ​orange and olive groves.

The exact date of establishment of the monastery is unknown. Some believe that it was founded after 1539, when the monks of the seaside monastery of St. Anthony in Pera Galini were attacked by pirates and moved to the mainland. Indeed, the monastery, except Saint Panteleimon, is also dedicated to Saint Anthony. However, it is probable that there was already the monastery of Saint Panteleimon here, otherwise the name of St. Anthony would have prevailed as the patron of the monastery.

The monastery played an important role in the struggle of the Cretans against the Turks. The Turks, in retaliation, looted and destroyed the monastery several times, but it never stopped operating.

The monastery houses some icons of the 17th century, like the Second Coming of Michael Damascenos, St. Onourfios and All Saints.

There is also a small zoo within the monastery, mostly with local animals. View of that part of the monastery yard in the WS, as well as the interior of the church (second photo)

pajaran trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 4
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 319 W: 130 N: 1372] (8689)
View More Pictures