Photographer's Note

The village is not visible from far away, with the exception of the Monastery of Vigin Mary, which is built inside a large rock, on the side of the mountain and can be seen as you enter the plateau. In a document from 1467, it was stated that the Fields of Kandila, (the Kandyliotikos Kampos) were farmed and had ample supply of water. The surrounding area had, and continues to have many settlements. Its countryside road system is grid, since most of the farms were created as late as the 19th century and the average farm size is small. After World War II and the Greek Civil War, many houses were renovated, or rebuilt from the ground and many villagers migrated to the US and other parts of the world. Kandila’s main road to the closest town of Levidi was paved in the early 1970s. Electricity, radio, automobiles and farm machinery were introduced in the mid-20th century, television in the late-20th century and computers and internet at the turn of the millennium. In 1997, Kandila and all the surrounding communities were combined under the Kapodistrias law into one jurisdiction, to form the Municipality of Levidi. Kandila residents however, prefer to call the new Municipality Orhomenos, after the ancient city of the Mantinean orhomenos, which is situated half way between Kandila and Levidi. (republication)

Budapestman, Dashab, JT50, clio, xavshot, s_lush trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2162
Points: 44
  • None
Additional Photos by Vasilis Protopapas (vasilpro) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2742 W: 87 N: 5139] (41801)
View More Pictures