Photos

Photographer's Note

Roman Catholic Cathedral of St John the Apostle and St Michael, Eger

Designed by József Hild, this Classical cathedral was erected between 1831 and 1836. It is 93 metres long, its cupola 18 metres wide and the twin towers 54 metres high. The monumental dimensions are particularly impressive from the steps leading up to the main facade.
The steps are framed by statues carved from stone depicting the Hungarian saints, King St Stephen and King Ladislaus, next to saints Peter and Paul. All are works by Marco Casagrande.
Eight 17-metre high Corinthian columns support the portico closed by a tympanum. The reliefs displayed by the external facade convey scenes from the life of Jesus Christ. Three statues on the elevated gable personify the virtues of Faith, Hope and Love.
The cathedral's interior is covered by three domes. Paintings have been created by the most renowned artists of the period. The high altarpiece depicting St John when plunged into oil was painted by József Dannhauser. On the southern side nave's first altar a depiction of St Michael by Michelangelo Grigoletti stands out. All details bear witness to the fact that archbishop László Pyrker who commissioned the cathedral took care to enlist the help of the most excellent artists and professionals of the day.
The cathedral's organ was built in the mid-19th century in Salzburg. Together with its loft the Classical organ case effectively concludes internal space. From 15th May to 15th October visitor may listen to brief organ services: Monday through Saturday from 11.30 am to 12 pm and on Sundays from 12.45 to 1.15 pm.
Access to the cathedral's crypt is from the south. Besides the archbishops of Eger, many outstanding personalities from the city have been laid to rest here. This tradition is continued to this day.
(Source: Vendégváró)

Photo Information
Viewed: 3876
Points: 56
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH