Photographer's Note

The original St Michael’s Church, which probably dates back to the time of Prince Géza, was already mentioned in the Pannonhalma Charter (1001). The cathedral was destroyed by fire several times and the early 18th century saw the restoration of the original Romanesque red-white stone church in Gothic style. The undercroft was also constructed at that time. During a later rebuilding, the basilica lost its Baroque features: its towers were raised by several metres and reshaped in Romanesque style. The cathedral’s beauty is enhanced by the numerous glass windows depicting saints. The nave is barrel vaulted and it has a coffered wooden ceiling. The entrance to the undercroft is by the sanctuary and there you can see the armoried tomb of general and Bishop Péter Beriszló, leading to the larger chamber of Márton Padányi Bíró’s monument. St Michael’s Cathedral has guarded the relic of Queen Blessed Gisella, who played an important role in the construction of the church, since 1996.

Nobody trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Judit Kramli (joudit) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 14 W: 0 N: 12] (205)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2009-06-00
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: f/3.2, 1/500 secondes
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2009-08-23 2:05
Viewed: 1592
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Judit Kramli (joudit) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 14 W: 0 N: 12] (205)
View More Pictures