Photos

Photographer's Note

This is the loggia of the villa with views to the hills

Built in the first half of the sixteenth century as a summer retreat for the bishops of Padua, the Villa dei Vescovi is considered a masterpiece by the Veronese architect and painter Giovanni Maria Falconetto (1468-1535). Set on a hilltop, it commands attention and provides a contrast to the villas of Andrea Palladio (1508-1580), which became the standard of excellence in the next generation. Falconnetto’s villa design was well known in its day and admired as a high point of sixteenth-century architecture in the region. The entrance of the villa is characterized by four portals, a stone balustrade encircling the ground level, running the length of the entrance’s grand staircases, and the loggia on the first level. The interiors are covered by frescoes painted by celebrated artist Lamberto Sustris between 1542 and 1543. The villa and its estate remained the property of the bishops of Padua until 1962, when the villa was purchased and restored by the Olcese family. Subsequently, in 2005, the nonprofit organization Fondo per l’Ambiente Italiano (FAI), acquired the property and began a conservation campaign.

Although the villa remained intact under the Olcese family, extensive conservation was required, as the property’s conditions had deteriorated over time. Dampness, environmental pollution, and natural aging had eroded decorative surfaces and had begun to cause some structural damage. Crumbling, cracking, salt efflorescence, and biological growth along the portals, balustrade, and loggia were the most notable problems. In 2007, WMF collaborated with FAI to document and conserve the building’s four portals, the remarkably crafted but badly deteriorated stone balustrade, and the loggia. A ceremony on June 21, 2011, attended by WMF Europe President Bertrand du Vignaud, marked the official opening of the villa to the public.

ITALIANO

Questa è la loggia esterna della villa con la vista verso le colline

VILLA DEI VESCOVI è una splendida testimonianza di grande architettura civile italiana. Un monumento di eccezionale importanza all’interno del vasto panorama delle ville venete per la sua capacità di introdurre il gusto per la classicità romana nell’entroterra della Serenissima. Villa dei Vescovi fu edificata su un terrapieno dei Colli Euganei tra il 1535 e il 1542 come casa di villeggiatura del vescovo di Padova, Francesco Pisani, che la trasformò in sede di un cenacolo intellettuale frequentato da importanti letterati e umanisti del tempo, i cui pensieri e scritti lasciarono una traccia importante nella cultura del nostro Paese. Il progetto fu affidato al pittore-architetto veronese Giovanni Maria Falconetto, mentre la direzione dei lavori spettò all’erudito veneziano Alvise Cornaro, responsabile all’epoca dell’amministrazione curiale. Gli interni e le logge furono arricchite dagli affreschi realizzati dal fiammingo Lambert Sustris, grande ammiratore della pittura di Raffaello a Roma. Successivamente, la Villa fu protagonista di ulteriori modifiche e migliorie apportate da artisti e architetti quali Giulio Romano, Vincenzo Scamozzi e Andrea da Valle. Rimasta di proprietà della curia padovana fino al 1962, la Villa venne acquistata dal milanese Vittorio Olcese e dall’allora consorte Giuliana Olcese de Cesare. Infine, fu donata al FAI – Fondo Ambiente Italiano nel 2005 per volontà di Maria Teresa Valoti Olcese, seconda moglie di Vittorio e dal figlio Pierpaolo come gesto d’amore verso il marito e padre.

sito FAI:

ybx, bayno, kennyblack trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
Viewed: 2805
Points: 26
Discussions
Additional Photos by andrea grigolo (grigand) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 957 W: 93 N: 1816] (20290)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH