Photographer's Note

Castle of Luco - Piediluco (TR)

The place where today remain the ruins of the castle, Mons Lucus, was a woodland sacred forest dedicated to the Roman deity Velinia, wife of Janus. Perhaps the first building that rose on its summit was a small temple dedicated to this deity, then replaced, after the fall of the Roman Empire, by a sighting fortification. The earliest records of the existence of a fortified place on Mount Luco date back to 1028, are contained in a document with which Berardo di Arrone, feudal lord of the place, offers his possessions to the Abbey of Farfa, there is express mention of a "Castello de Luco". Stratigraphic tests, conducted on the ruins of the current Rocca, have confirmed the presence of a fortified settlement, characterized by the presence of a quadrangular tower that was the keep of the castle and was its first fortified nucleus.
Frederick II, in 1244, gave the castle to the Brancaleoni family, who in 1298 submitted to Spoleto.
Oddone and Matteo Brancaleoni, restructured between the end of the thirteenth century and the middle of the next, transformed it into a stately home. The period of the lordship Brancaleoni was characterized by the continuous clashes between Guelphs and Ghibellines: on several occasions, both the Rocca and the village were the object of the opposing wills of dominion of the Rieti, Spoleto, Foligno and Perugini. In 1330, Rieti and Spoleto allied themselves to destroy the fortress, which became the refuge of the Ghibellines, but were stopped by Pope Benedict XII. In 1333 it was occupied by the papal troops of Roberto D'Angiò. In 1340 the Spoletini, led by Pietro Pianciani, defeated the Reatini, who had besieged the castle, and made the Count of Trivento prisoner who led them. In 1364 Blasco Fernarndez of Belviso, rector of the Duchy of Spoleto and cousin of Cardinal Albornoz, bought the Fortress from Brancaleoni and enlarged it: an expansion in the context of the strengthening of papal power that Albornoz carried on throughout Umbria. Except for the noble residence, the castle, duly fortified, lost its housing functions to the advantage of those of defense. In 1368 Blasco and his son Garcia were killed by the inhabitants of Piediluco. Tremendo the reaction of Spoleto and the Church, papal troops sent by Pope Urban V and commanded by Ugolino da Montemarte together with the armed Spoleto, put the fortress and the town on fire, captured, summarily tried and hanged 50 men of the country. Six of the guilty were dragged along the streets of Spoleto, gripped with hot irons and then thrown into the Tessino torrent. After the killing of Fernandez it became property of the jurisconsult Nicola Spinelli, who in 1393 sold it to Ugolino Trinci. It remained property of the Trinci di Foligno until 1439, at the death of Corrado III, Pope Eugenio IV submitted it to the papal authority and later, in 1453, Pope Nicholas V made him dominion of the captain of fortune of Rino Matteo Poiani, as a reward for the services rendered. In 1494 the Poians asked for help in Spoleto to oppose the Ternani, who had blocked the lake's drainage channel; A little later Alexander VI donated the castle to his nephews, sons of Lucrezia, at that time governor of the ducal city. At the death of the painter Borgia the Poians returned to the castle, and in 1527 they again asked for help from Spoleto, fearing the arrival of the Colonnesi, returning from the sack of Rome.
The absence of a male heir determined, in 1578, the transfer to the noble Amerino Giovanni Farrattini who married Plautilla Poiani. The new owners kept it until the end of the seventeenth century. The new owners kept it until the end of the seventeenth century. Between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries Piediluco belonged to the Ancaiani barons, then to the Pianciani counts of Spoleto, who ceded them to the Franchetti barons in the late nineteenth century, but the castle, ceased defense needs, had long since been abandoned.

The complex, which has been in ruins since the 18th century, has two distinct parts. In the south-east area there is the building, to date it is possible to identify the reception room with the access portal, the residential rooms and the accessory rooms. The residence of the castellano was articulated on three levels. The remains of the first Castello di Luco, including the old tower, can be found inside its limestone walls. The entrance door to the fortress opened on the north-east side and was defended by a turret whose remains are still visible.
The most significant emergency is represented by the mastio, a pentagonal plan determined by a spur, which is articulated on five levels, connected by an octagonal staircase supported by flying buttresses. The arms courtyard had a cistern in the center where the rainwater was collected, purified, then reused within the complex. Still visible the turret that protected the door

Fis2, ikeharel, holmertz, ChrisJ, pierrefonds, dale54, alvaraalto, jhm, PiotrF, COSTANTINO trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17825 W: 130 N: 37502] (203986)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2020-10-10
  • Exposition: 30 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2020-10-12 0:27
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17825 W: 130 N: 37502] (203986)
View More Pictures