Photographer's Note

Church of San Paolo inter Vineas - Spoleto
Its famous ancient origin is linked to the prodigious events that have taken place there since the time of San Gregorio Magno, in the second half of the VI century. The episode tells of an Arian bishop who, for having tried by force to celebrate Mass in the church, was "miraculously" struck by blindness. During the Lombard rule, the building already existed. Bishop Lupo rebuilt it in 998, to found a monastery of Benedictine nuns, mentioned in a document of 1002. The church underwent a complete renovation in 1234 and Pope Gregory IX, after he had consecrated it, took care of the annexation of the monastery of nuns who guarded it, who received the rule of the Poor Clares. Following the internal struggles between the various opposing factions that took turns in power in the fourteenth century, the monastery suffered abuse and violence, only to be later abandoned. It was then rebuilt next to the church of Sant’Agata, in 1396.
It was granted to observant Minors by Cardinal Berardo Eroli, bishop of Spoleto, in 1461. From the report of the sacred canonical visit of 1723 we learn that at that time it was used as a provincial study of theology and inhabited by 23 religious. Equipped with a very large cloister, with all the necessary workshops, it had four dormitories, one of which used as an infirmary, and a pharmacy. There was also a library with many ancient works. Mention is also made of two hospices managed by the Convent, one in the city and the other in Beroide. On 20 June 1810 the Convent was handed over to the Napoleonic authorities. On November 3, 1814, Father Stefano d'Assisi took possession of it again with an exhortation by the provincial minister to transform it into a retreat convent. In 1817 a part of the convent was used by the government as a hospice for the disabled but, after seven months, it was returned to the friars. On 30 September 1865 the religious were expelled. Since then, at the ancient complex of San Paolo inter vineas, thanks to the praiseworthy initiative of the gonfaloniere Montani and to a design by Fontana, both illustrious Spoleto people, a begging shelter was established, used for several years. This unfortunate destination in recent times has been suppressed and after careful consolidation and renovation the beautiful building is now the seat of the Istituto Alberghiero di Stato.

jhm, Fis2, ikeharel, ChrisJ, jean113, PiotrF, PiotrF, pierrefonds, papagolf21 trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18488 W: 130 N: 39194] (210378)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2017-04-01
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2020-10-24 9:34
Viewed: 0
Points: 36
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 18488 W: 130 N: 39194] (210378)
View More Pictures