Photos

Photographer's Note

Gymnasium of Karlovci, first Serbian secondary school (gymnasium).

HISTORY:

During 18th century literacy among Serbs was not so widely spread, except among priests, monks and rich. This condition was noticed by metropolitans of that time and they send plenty of pleadings to Austrian court with purpose of allowing schools in Sremski Karlovci. Austrian monarchs were not benevolent on this aspirations. They believed that schools wouldn’t be good for the military spirit of Serbs.

In 1728 mitropolitan Mojsije Petrović opened a school with a famous Russian Maksim Suvorov as a teacher. The school was later named after him. In 1749 mitropolitan Pavle Nenadović founded Latin school but it stopped working among some other schools (“Klirikalna”, “Slavjano-Jelinska” and “Slavjano-Gramatičeska”) that existed during that period in Sremski Karlovci soon after mitropolitan died in 1768.

When Leopold II came on he Habsburg throne official Austrian royal politics towards Serbs in the region partly changed. Mitropolitan Stefan Stratimirović knew how to make use of it and he managed to get permission for founding of a secondary school (Gymnasium) in Sremski Karlovci. Thanks to the mitropolitan, and a rich citizen of Karlovci, Dimitrije Anastasijević Sabov who gave 20 000 forints in silver for the foundation, Serbs in Sremski Karlovci got the first Serbian secondary school (gymnasium) in Serbian history.

Teaching in Gymnasium started at 1st of December, 1792 in former Latin school building. It was a ground-floor, “U” shape floor plan building with both classrooms and teacher’s and principal’s apartments. Students took lessons in both Latin and German language. First principals were Czech and Slovaks because of lack of educated people among Serbs. The Gymnasium contained two boarding schools - “Blagodjejanije” was meant for penniless pupils and “Konvikt” was for wealthy pupils. In 1852/53 school-year school program had changed and Serbian language was added to program as native language of pupils in Karlovci.

In 1873 Gymnasium in Sremski Karlovci was allowed to perform maturity examinations but only in presence of official school supervisor. Since that year to year 1918 the school was named Serbian Orthodox Gymnasium of Sremski Karlovci.

At the end of 19th century pastor of Sremsko-Mitrovački county raised 325 000 crowns in gold for new school building on the wish of his brother, patriarch German Anđelić. Foundations were consecrated in 1890 by patriarch Georgije Branković. The building was designed by the Budapest architect Gyula Partos and by his idea the facade was colored in red and yellow as the admonition to the Serbian medieval ecclesiastical architecture.

After a school-year 1956/57, when an eight-year school was founded, gymnasium was four-year school. At the same time in the high-school building was also located school for teachers. Since 1990/91 gymnasium in Sremski Karlovci transformed to classic lingual gymnasium.

Nobody trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: David Lazic (Natasa-David) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 72 W: 30 N: 58] (479)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2008-08-03
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: f/4, 1/100 secondes
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2008-09-06 15:57
Viewed: 2543
Points: 2
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by David Lazic (Natasa-David) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 72 W: 30 N: 58] (479)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH