Photos

Photographer's Note

Capdepera Castle

In 1300 King Jaume II promulgated the "Ordinacions" among others founded the town of Capdepera and commanding to group the dispersed population living in the area to build a fortress around the watchtower of Miquel Nunis, located on a building strategic hill overlooking the surrounding lands and dominate the sea channel separating the islands of Mallorca and Menorca.

First the church and a cistern was built. The construction of the walls ended at the end of the XIV century, incorporating later the towers to improve the defense of the fortification. The church was enlarged in the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries and its interior houses the carving of Christ from the XIV or XV century Gothic image of the Verge de l'Esperança, patron saint of Capdepera venerated since the XVI century.

Much of the population of Capdepera were not in favor of abandoning their land to live within the fortress, popularly known as the Castle of Capdepera. For this reason, to all the people that during the night armed enclosed within the enclosure to reinforce their defense was ordered. Initially built within the fortification fifty houses at the end of the sixteenth century, due to the large number of landings of pirates and privateers of the time, they would become more than a hundred, occupying most orchards available.

The current urban center of Capdepera was formed from the seventeenth century, when the inhabitants of the castle began to leave to settle at the foot of the hill. At the end of the eighteenth century there were only twenty houses inhabited inside the enclosure and the new population center located outside the walls already had over two hundred houses. From the eighteenth century reforms promoted by the Spanish monarchy surveillance and defense of the coast passed into the hands of professional soldiers, so the premises became a barracks under the authority of a governor. From this period dates the Governor's House, one of the few houses that are preserved inside the castle as its inhabitants used the stones of the houses to build new homes.

The military left the castle in 1854 and it became a private property until 1983 its owners donated it to the City of Capdepera, an institution that in 2000 organized the Commemoration of 700 years of the Castle of Capdepera.

--------------------------------------

Castillo de Capdepera

En 1300 el rey Jaume II promulgó las "Ordinacions" fundando entre otros el pueblo de Capdepera y ordenando para agrupar la población que vivía dispersa por la zona la construcción de un recinto amurallado entorno a la torre de vigilancia de Miquel Nunis, edificación situada sobre una estratégica colina desde donde se dominan las tierras de los alrededores y se divisa el canal marítimo que separa las islas de Mallorca y Menorca.

Primero se edificó la iglesia y una cisterna. La construcción de las murallas finalizó a final del siglo XIV, incorporándose posteriormente las torres para mejorar la defensa de la fortificación. La iglesia fue ampliada en los siglos XVI y XVIII y su interior acoge la talla de un Cristo del siglo XIV o XV y la imagen de estilo gótico de la Verge de l'Esperança, patrona de Capdepera venerada desde el siglo XVI.

Gran parte de la población de Capdepera no era partidaria de abandonar sus tierras para vivir dentro de la fortificación, conocida popularmente como el castillo de Capdepera. Por ese motivo, se ordenó a la todos los pobladores que durante las noches se encerraran armados dentro del recinto para reforzar su defensa. Inicialmente se construyeron dentro de la fortificación una cincuentena de casas que al final del siglo XVI, debido al gran número de desembarcos de piratas y corsarios de la época, pasarían a ser más de ciento cincuenta, ocupando la mayoría de huertos disponibles.

El actual núcleo urbano de Capdepera se conformó a partir del siglo XVII, momento en que los pobladores del castillo empezaron a abandonarlo para instalarse a los pies de la colina. Al final del siglo XVIII tan solo quedaban veinticinco casas habitadas dentro del recinto y el nuevo núcleo de población ubicado fuera de las murallas ya disponía de más de doscientas casas. A partir de las reformas del siglo XVIII impulsadas por la monarquía española la vigilancia y defensa de la costa pasó a manos de militares profesionales, por lo que el recinto se convirtió en un cuartel bajo la autoridad de un gobernador. De esta época data la Casa del Gobernador, una de las pocas viviendas que se conservan dentro del castillo ya que sus pobladores aprovecharon las piedras de las casas para edificar las nuevas viviendas.

Los militares abandonaron el castillo en 1854 y éste pasó a ser una propiedad privada hasta que en 1983 sus propietarios lo donaron al Ayuntamiento de Capdepera, institución que en el año 2000 organizó la Conmemoración de los 700 años del Castillo de Capdepera.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1320
Points: 50
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 9043 W: 5 N: 16288] (72564)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH