Photos

Photographer's Note

The Basilica Notre-Dame de Fourvière is a basilica in Lyon. It was built with private funds between 1872 and 1896 in a dominating position in the city, as a mark of the triumph of Christian values over the socialists of the Lyon commune of 1870, like the similarly-inspired Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, Paris. Its design, by Pierre Bossan, draws from both Romanesque and Byzantine architecture, two non-Gothic models that were unusual choices at the time. It features fine mosaics, superb stained glass, and a crypt of Saint Joseph. The basilica, which offers guided tours and contains a Museum of Sacred Art, receives 1.5 million visitors annually

Bossan's first sketches for the basilica seem to date from 1846, following the bi-centennial in 1843 of the plague event. At the time he was in Palermo.

The site it occupies was once the Roman forum of Trajan, the forum vetus, thus its name. Perched atop the Fourvière hill, the basilica looms impressively over the city of Lyon, where it can be seen from many vantage points; not unintentionally, the basilica of Fourvière has become a symbol of the city of Lyon. The basilica has four main towers, and a belltower. It is topped with a gilded statue of the Virgin Mary.At certain times, members of the public may access the basilica's north tower for a spectacular 180-degree view of Lyon and its suburbs.


The apsidal end, with the belltowerFourvière actually contains two cathedrals, one on top of the other. The upper sanctuary is very ornate, while the lower is a much simpler design. Fourvière is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, who is said to have saved the city of Lyon from the plague in 1643. A small church was erected in gratitude, to which the gilded statue of the Virgin was added in the mid-nineteenth century, to mark its bicentennial. Each year in early December, Lyon thanks the Virgin for saving the city by lighting candles throughout the city, in what is called the Fête des Lumières.

During the Franco-Prussian War, Prussian forces, having taken Paris, were progressing south towards Lyon. Their halt and retreat were attributed by the Church to the intercession of the Virgin Mary once more. Work on the triumphant basilica was begun in 1872 and finished in 1884. Finishing touches in the interior were not completed until 1964.


The basilica at nightSince 1982 the antennas of Radio Fourvière, the predecessor of Radios chrétiennes francophones, have been located in the tower. Notre-Dame de Fourvière was included when the whole historic center of Lyon was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1998.

marjan, Leo71538 trouve(nt) cette note utile

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Siegfried Potrykus (siggi) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 179 W: 34 N: 191] (1419)
  • Genre: Lieux
  • Medium: Couleur
  • Date Taken: 2009-02-25
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposition: f/4.9, 1/1000 secondes
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Versions: version originale
  • Date Submitted: 2009-03-02 9:52
Viewed: 2997
Points: 6
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Siegfried Potrykus (siggi) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 179 W: 34 N: 191] (1419)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH